Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate concrete block walls?

sankara
Growing in Experience

How to insulate concrete block walls?

Hi Team

My house is built with concrete block or besser block with no insulation. i am researching for insulated plasterboard but nothing on bunnings. Instead i can get rigid insulation and plasterboard which works out half price as combination offorded by other suppliers. 

I think i will have to paste the insulation over my rendered and painted wall then pate the plasterboard and finally use mechanical fixings before finish and paint. 

Could you please advise the products i will need to complete this project  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insulate concrete block walls

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sankara. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about wall insulation.

We have the Foilboard and XPS Multi-Use Insulation Foam Board which could be used. Have you considered framing out the wall and installing Earthwool insulation?

You can adhere the insulation board to your rendered wall with construction adhesive before mechanically fixing it and the plasterboard in place with Ankascrews. It would be best if you glued the plasterboard with Gyprock CSR 5.5kg Acrylic Stud Adhesive to timber battens attached to the Besser blocks. That would require battening out the whole wall, though. Once the plasterboard is hung, you'll then need to set all the joints in the plasterboard with joint tape and Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound. Cornice and skirting boards will be used to finish the wall. 

You might like to have a read through this Best Advice article on replacing and insulating plasterboard walls.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sankara
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell 

I thought it would be quicker and easy to paste and anchor the insulation straight on the wall without studs or battening. do wooden backing needed for this since ankascrews are used 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The insulation can be pasted on the wall @sankara, but the plaster needs to be screwed and pasted. You can't paste the plaster to the insulation; it needs to be pasted onto solid material, requiring timber battens on the walls.

Mitchell

sankara
Growing in Experience

Ok got it thanks. 

So i will batten the wall with same thickness of the insulation. with that ramset fastener then paste the insulation within batten then screw in plasterboard on to the batten, then finish the wall.

Thanks for the quick response again 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Let us know if you have more questions @sankara. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects