Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore table: Epoxy, lacquer or polyurethane?

olemate
Getting Established

How to restore table: Epoxy, lacquer or polyurethane?

Hi,

My dad made this table from scatch on my pops woodturner when I was about 5yrs old. I been given it as a family heirloom and it really needs some T.L.C. So Ive almost finished sanding it back to raw wood and its looking fantastic. Im not sure if I should stain it. The end result I would love is to have that thick super glossy finish. Now for the decision Im finding quite hard to decide on. Do I lacquer, epoxy or polyurethane? And what grad of sandpaper should be the last I use before applying any of these solutions so it sticks properly. Ive only used an 80 grit sandpaper. Obviously I do not want to ruin this piece of my families history. I would love some expert advice. So please help me.

20220331_140707.jpg

20220401_095952.jpg

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to restore table: Epoxy, lacquer or polyurethane?

Hi olemate

In the past i found using the sanding dust and glue leaves a stain regardless of the glue used. I have found the best is using timbermate they provide a number of colours and is water based leaving no stains etc Timbermate also have a neutral colour which you can mix a water based colouring in turn matching a much closed colour to the timber 

Timbermate is Australian made and owned they also provide a number of videos on their site on a number of techniques in the use of the filler.

They also supply a well know and established filler Agnew’s water putty

https://www.timbermate.com.au/our-products/earls-timbermate/  

hope this helps

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Timbermate you can change tones by mixing in a lighter or darker shade into the base colour that is closest to the timber.

The Japanese repair style is to use gold and not try to hide it but honour the past.

Black is what is used a lot here to hide imperfections.

I would be tempted to use clear epoxy over any scars, if it doesn't hide perfectly it has some scars to wear with pride.

Metho whiped on will give you an indication of the finished look while it is wet and it doesn't leave a residue when dry.

olemate
Getting Established

I had a revelation. What if I touch up only the wood putty with a dark stain like Merbau. According to the manufacturer it will take to a stain. I know it wont completely stop the putty from showing but could it help it blend in better. Thoughts?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That could potentially work @olemate. Currently, the putty is looking like a mission brown, and a touch of reddish Merbau stain could improve the look.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

both Brad and I have suggested the timbermate method before applying the filler to the affected area, try it out on the underside of the table allowing the filler to dry then applying sealer of choice. The great thing with timbermate is you can use both oil and water based colour together giving a better chance of matching colour required

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects