Workshop
Ask a question

Preparing laminated table surface to paint

jcrichardson026
Just Starting Out

Preparing laminated table surface to paint

20201019_075411.jpg20201019_075432.jpgA two inch hole in the top of a laminated table (laminate over particle board)

Filled hole with Selleys Plastic Wood.

Now what do I do?

1. Type of Sandpaper?

2. Do I paint or need to replace with a strip of laminate or something else?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Preparing laminated table surface to paint

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jcrichardson026. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

You will need to sand the filler so it is flush with the laminate in order for it to not be seen after painting. You can use general-purpose sandpaper Flexovit 100mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll to remove the bulk of the filler and Flexovit 100mm x 1m 400 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll to finish.

You would need to paint the surface returning it to a uniform colour. As paints have trouble adhering to laminate surfaces you would need to prime the surface with Dulux 1L White Precision Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer and then paint with a hard-wearing finish coat similar to Dulux Aquanamel. Alternatively, you could spray the top with Dy-Mark 300g White Water Based Gloss Acrylic Spray Paint. To get a consistent finish the whole top should be painted. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects