Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Revamped entertainment unit

moodybyname78
Cultivating a Following

Revamped entertainment unit

Fully refurbished one of a kind Hamptons-inspired solid entertainment unit.

Made by JAMEL right here in Perth, refurbished by myself.

First thing that had to go was the glass inserts. Having a two year old boy at the time who loved bashing his toys on things and throwing things around, the glass wasn’t a safe option. My first idea was using rattan but I wasn’t sold on the look. Wasn’t what I had envisioned so I went with Tasmanian oak DAR cut to size and glued to 3mm plywood in a herringbone pattern then sealed and waxed and installed in the doors. The top was damaged and was just veneered MDF so I sanded and scratched up the surface so the glue I used could have a strong bond to the Tasmanian DAR cut to size and laid in a herringbone pattern and sealed and waxed 

I sanded the unit down with 240 grit and wiped it down with wax and grease remover then painted it in Dulux chalk effect Malta blue and sealed with a Matt clear finish. Wanted something different for the handles so I went with the faux leather with brass fittings. I just folded them over so they are looped. I loved doing this project. I’ve done a few in the past but this is my favourite to date. Until the next one. Looking forward to seeing more projects from others

D5F988B7-E19D-41D2-A009-2AC267236F48.jpeg

18CA282D-139F-4179-8B50-0C5CF06772F1.pngD5F988B7-E19D-41D2-A009-2AC267236F48.jpeg

7A9E640D-4F26-485A-85A2-C46CD7A7EFE6.png

232FBE56-8781-4F56-B5B8-39353D2CA8F8.png

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Revamped entertainment unit

Hello @moodybyname78,

A very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It's fantastic to have you join us. It's absolutely wonderful to see you've been exploring other projects shared in the community and are engaging with our members. I'm sure you'll receive plenty of inspiration and great advice from them. I'd be happy to help if you have any questions about navigating the site and how to get the most out of it.

Many thanks for sharing this refurbished entertainment unit. The transformation is indeed stunning, and so is your paint work. Do you have any tips for our members who may be looking to paint similar textures? Anything to keep in mind? 

Thanks, and welcome once again. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
moodybyname78
Cultivating a Following

Hello Akanksha, thank you for the warm welcome.

Best tip I can give is to give the project a light sand and a throughly good clean before painting. Wax and grease remover works well. Also don’t skimp on brushes or rollers when painting. Save the cheap ones for paint remover 

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@moodybyname78 wow! This is stunning 😍

moodybyname78
Cultivating a Following

@sandy_d  Thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects