Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Student desk with a Spotted Gum top

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Student desk with a Spotted Gum top

20210618_105135.jpg

Hi everyone,

I made a variation on my computer desk build for my youngest son who just started High School. It measure 2000m long, 500mm deep and is about 780mm high. The bill of materials and the instructions are in my previous post "computer desk build" but this time I decided to use a spotted gum top which was available from Bunnings. 

We painted the frame using Dulux Gloss (White on White) and gave it three coats. The top was sanded with 240 grit sandpaper and coated using Timber Protect One Coat Clear (water base version/gloss). Three coats were applied with a final sand down (hand-sanding) after the last coat.The top was fixed to the frame using a adhesive and brackets to hold the top in place. I made the desk at 500mm deep to fit into the space and not to overwhelm his room. 

All we have to do now, is to get him to sit down and do his homework:-) All the best everyone.

The spotted gum just looks amazingThe spotted gum just looks amazing

Joining the legsJoining the legsAssembling the timber frameAssembling the timber frameAligning the bracketsAligning the bracketsFixing in the cross barsFixing in the cross barsFrame all done in 30 minutesFrame all done in 30 minutes

Brackets to hold the legsBrackets to hold the legsBrackets to hold the topBrackets to hold the topSanding - it is so important when getting the top readySanding - it is so important when getting the top ready

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Student Desk with a spotted gum top

Thank you for sharing another beautiful project @Nham. I think that the triple coat finish will be strong enough to handle homework.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Beautiful work, @Nham! I love how unimposing these desks are, and I'm sure they would suit numerous room décors.

Many thanks for sharing this project and the construction images, as they will certainly assist other members in achieving something similar.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Demo
Having an Impact

Good job

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Now that looks great @Nham 😊 

donalla
Getting Established

Re: Student desk with a Spotted Gum top

@Nham 

This looks absolutely stunning. Thank you for sharing the details. I do have a question though what size and type of screws did you use for the cross bracing. I am looking at making a new workspace desk for myself and have started to plan it out and figure out my materials list. All three of the desks you have made are wonderful. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @donalla

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your desire to build your own desk.

Let me tag @Nham so that they are made aware of your question. What benchtop size were you planning to use? If you can tell us the size of timber you will be using, we can give you recommendations on which screws to use. Our ever-helpful members will be more than happy to advise and provide information. We would love to see updates about your desk while you build it.

We look forward to seeing the start of your build. 

Eric

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Thanks for the tag @EricL 

Hi @donalla, I used 10G x 100 mm countersunk ribbed head screws, which you can get from Bunnings. They are around $11-12 for a pack of 50 screws. These were used to attach the cross-bracing between the legs in the middle and the upper frame. The reason I used 100mm length was that the timber was 700mm wide (see image). I found that pre-drilling holes makes it easier to screw through the wood and keep everything straight. To build the frame, I used twenty 10G x 100 mm screws to join the wood and sixteen 8G x 30mm screws for the brackets. I am amazed at how strong the frame is when you have all the screws and brackets in place. Good luck with your work table:-)

Parts List

Fix two screws, upper and lower into the cross bracesFix two screws, upper and lower into the cross braces

donalla
Getting Established

that's fantastic we just bought all the frame needs today I took note of everything you used on the other desk and it's build so ours will be a combo of the two we can't access the 70mm x 30mm here so we have used the 70mm x 35mm wood that is not F5 rated.  The guys at Bunnings Bundaberg in the timber yard were amazing. So far the framing timber, screws, brackets and paint we went with an exterior paint  that has a primer in it also (only two coats to do), ohh and we are making two desks for under $100 plus the two table tops are from Bunnings and I love the rich colours of the Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel. I also have the Alex Drawers from Ikea coming too lol Can't wait to show you some photos

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @donalla

It's great that you've received excellent advice and information from @Nham. It's fantastic that you got all your materials to finish your project and received amazing service as well. I'll be sure to pass on your compliments to the Bunnings Bundaberg team.

Please keep us updated, we are very keen to see your desks once they are built!

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects