Workshop
Ask a question

Wall mounting TV to plasterboard

shane37
Getting Established

Wall mounting TV to plasterboard

Fixings.pngWould the 25mm blue gripit plasterboard fixes be suitable to wall mount a tv to the plasterboard?

It says they can hold up to 60kg.

I have a 50” tv that weighs 11.5kg and was looking at wall mounting to the plasterboard as the steel studs are not where we would like to mount the tv.

Does anyone know if these have been used for this purpose before? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: wall mounting tv to plaster board

Hi @shane37,

In all honesty, I haven't seen GripIt 25mm Blue Plasterboard Fixings before as they appear to be a relatively new product to our range. I've just spent some time watching comparison videos of them verse standard fixing systems. They rate very high and I would be comfortable recommending them to you for this application. They were comparable to spring toggles which are what I would normally recommend if you can't go directly into studs or don't want to bridge between them with timber. Spring toggles are generally only rated for around 10kg each and these GripIt's definitely exceeded that.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

No,

This will not work, in any way at all.

What you can do, however, is get some 50mm x 5mm steel plate of the required length and mount the TV to that.

I'm saying, get the steel, work out where the TV set is going to be mounted to the steel plate, drill the holes for both the TV mounts and the holes in the wall, in the steel plate and then Tek screw the plate to the steel wall studs.

Screwing into plasterboard is in no way a strong hold, even with them wing type holders

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your contribution to the discussion @MikeTNZ. I completely agree that securing a wall-mounted television to studs is the preferred method. Connecting to a solid structure, such as a timber frame, should always be considered before a sheeting material. However, @shane37 would need to use at least two of the GripIt 25mm Blue Plasterboard Fixings for the bracket and that would be a significant holding force, which should be more than sufficient if he chooses to use them.

Mitchell

"I have a 50” tv that weighs 11.5kg"

Wow!

I'm behind the times with technology - I have a National 58" plasma TV that weighs 90kg. Never did I consider mounting it on a wall. 😯

I'm intrigued by this product - can you please share the links you viewed @MitchellMc ?

If this can do away with the hassle of studs or plates, etc I'll be very happy.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Hi @ProjectPete,

This product has been widely sold in the UK for some time now and the weight guides were independently verified on Australian plasterboards when they began selling them here. Please be aware the weight ratings are for sheer force.

If you search GripIt on Youtube you'll find a whole heap of independent reviews on them. I'll include the GripIt installation video for flush mount flat screen tv brackets below.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc , I was going to use 4 of them just as I would if I were screwing the mount to the studs. 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hey MitchellMc,

Well I must whole-heartedly apologise, I got that totally wrong didn't I?!!

I should have thought about that a tad harder before posting above.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@MikeTNZ,

There is no need to apologise. I must say, had I been asked the same question before seeing this product, my response would have been much the same as yours. Traditionally, there really hasn't been a product suited to hanging heavy items on plasterboard. I'm really impressed with what I have seen so far from this one. The manufacturer even offered to send some out to me so I could test them myself. They really do back their product.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects