Workshop
Ask a question

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

vica
Having an Impact

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

Hi, mates.Good morning!

The handle of my bedroom (image1) is out of work. I removed the old handle and now there are two holes in the door( image2)

Second problem ,the flush pull of new handle is 7mm length,but the old is 12mm, much bigger than new one. (Image3)The old handle also left a gouge in the door.( image 4)I need your guild to fill these holes and gouge before I install a new handle.The thickness of the door is 40mm. Thank you so much!

vica

612121FE-6CE8-4111-94BE-2685FE238AD3.jpeg

CE14CBBC-4EA8-461B-B9E6-16B8F336D9D1.jpeg

0AC97153-7A96-4BB0-9E29-EBFB342795ED.jpeg

1A995D72-34B1-49F7-9481-2793C30F5486.jpeg

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: how to fill the holes and gouge

photo 2: for the round hole I would use dowel that suites the hole size glue in and use a Japanese saw to cut flush.

the key hole use a sharp chisel square all edges, cut a section of timber to fit both sides glue in place use a Japanese saw to cut flush then sand, fill any small gaps with a good filler and sand to finish.

Photo 3: as the moulding is no longer available, square all faces with a sharp chisel, if you are really keen grab a pice of timber rough shape the timber to suite the moulding, slot in and finish shaping, fill any small gaps with filler or mix up some plastic wood filler, fill the gap and shape to suite the shape of the moulding. This can be done by rolling a pice of dowel to create the curves, then sand to finish. You may be lucky and find some moulding at a timber recycling place to suite. (be careful not to mix too much hardener as it will set very quickly making shaping much harder to do)

photo: 4 clean all edges with sharp chisel cut a section of timber to suite the rebate glue in place sand back and fill any small gaps with filler sand to finish 

vica
Having an Impact

@r23on Thank you so much for your kindness and help. I don’t find “Japanese saw” in bunnings websites . Is it a bow saw? Sorry for my shortage of tools. Thank you again!

Vica

r23on
Amassing an Audience

the one bunnings has is an irwin i think they call it a pull saw as the japanese saw cut on the back cut I will get back with the correct name

Its called a Dovetail pull saw I/N: 0132902

you can hold the saw flush against the work pice and leave no marks allowing to sand to a fine finish

vica
Having an Impact

@r23on Thank you ! You are so kind! 
Vica

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vica,

It's great to see you've already received a helpful and detailed reply from the knowledgeable @r23on. What he has proposed sounds like an excellent way to go about fixing these issues. I'd recommend Builder's Bog for a two-part filler as it has successfully helped me repair several doors before.

If you have questions or run into any difficulties, please let us know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc @Thank you ! I still have another question :I have bought Selleys heavy duty liquid nails before ,can I use it as wooden glue in my door? 
Vica

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vica,

That would be fine to use for gluing the timber into place, but try not to use an excessive amount of it. Also, firmly clamp the timber patch pieces into place whilst the glue dries.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc  Should I buy 

Turbo 175ml Builders Bog Flexipack

And Turbo 40g Builders Bog Hardener together? Thank you again.

Vica

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It depends on how well you get those timber patches to fit @vica. If they fit very well and there are minimal gaps to fill, then the Turbo 175ml Builders Bog Flexipack would be plenty. However, if you can't cut the timber to suit perfectly and there are some gaps, then Turbo 500ml Builders Bog might be a better option. It's always handy to have some extra and can be used for many projects around the home. Both of these products come with a hardener so there is no need to buy it separately.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects