Workshop
Ask a question

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

vica
Having an Impact

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

Hi, mates.Good morning!

The handle of my bedroom (image1) is out of work. I removed the old handle and now there are two holes in the door( image2)

Second problem ,the flush pull of new handle is 7mm length,but the old is 12mm, much bigger than new one. (Image3)The old handle also left a gouge in the door.( image 4)I need your guild to fill these holes and gouge before I install a new handle.The thickness of the door is 40mm. Thank you so much!

vica

612121FE-6CE8-4111-94BE-2685FE238AD3.jpeg

CE14CBBC-4EA8-461B-B9E6-16B8F336D9D1.jpeg

0AC97153-7A96-4BB0-9E29-EBFB342795ED.jpeg

1A995D72-34B1-49F7-9481-2793C30F5486.jpeg

Re: how to fill the holes and gouge

@MitchellMc  Thanks. Would you mind to recommend a wood glue  to fix my door?

Vica

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd recommend Selley's Durabond @vica. It's a polyurethane wood glue that is stronger than a standard PVA wood glue and perfect for adhering those timber patches.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc It is very good! Thank you a lot and have a nice day!

Vica

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi again Vica

Mitchell has suggested polyurethane wood glue what ever you do not use too much as polyurethane glue will foam up and is hard to clean up and has a tendency to push the matting parts, apart where PVA types of glue can be held in place with tape. (so long as all parts are clean) The best wood glue for all my work is Tite Bond III water proof glue 20min drying time to start working with, however Bunnings does not stock it unfortunately. Poly glues are strong and have good proprieties. Down fall foams up when being used, hard to clean, require clamps to hold parts under pressure while drying 

From what you have shown no clamps need. just tape

I think gorilla glues has a product similar to tite bond which Bunnings does have.

The bog suggested is fine for large areas. for the small and fine holes and cracks I use Timber Mate (Australian made Australian owned) and much easier to work and quick drying time (sand back). I would suggest a visit the the timber mate web site for further info. I am currently I visiting Darwin working with Darwin Mens shed and all we are using is timber mate filler but would not use for very large holes etc. For all their projects Tite Bond III water proof is being used. 

But each to their own.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

All valid points @r23on! I got very used to using Builders' Bog on my door as I had a dog that would manage to escape the backyard every other day and then sit at the front door chewing at it until we got home. It got to the stage that there was more bog in the door than actual timber. You're correct that a timber putty would likely be more suitable for smaller holes, and the polyurethane glue should be used sparingly.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Mitchell

vica
Having an Impact

@r23on Thank you so much for your help! Yes , I used woodhardenner made by Timbermate Company for my fence and posts recommended by @MitchellMc . It is very effective. I also used its woodfillers made by natural timber. And I still have a lot left . Can I use it for my door this time?

Vica

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@vica,

I believe this is the plastic wood filler @r23on was referring to. He might also be able to let us know whether the Timbermate product is a suitable alternative.

Mitchell

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi 

This product is what I was talking about great for all small holes creaks. for really fine holes I mix a small amount with water to make a very wet past and paint it on. it gets in to hair line cracks. I use mainly the natural colour as it takes on most stains matching the the timber stained. hope all goes well for you.

@MitchellMc Thank you! My wish is installing a new handle. About the door itself ,the holes is near but not on the spot I will drill for handle.(image1) . But door frame is different It may be very very near the drill spot. And one surface is made by concrete.(imag2). How to fill it so that I can install a handle? Certainly bog is best because it can be drilled. I think detailed advises is very best. Also which handle is very important .

Vica
Vica

92F77E7F-183B-4299-9F63-B4E1C0E338B4.jpeg

image.jpg

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi Mitchell 

As to which plastic wood filler to use I have no preference as they all seem to do the same task. the issue I had was finding the correct mix of hardener to filler ratio to shape or mould the shape before the hardener sets the filler. The other issue was the workability of the plastic wood after setting. Too much hardener sanding hard work not enough hardener the sanding material clogged quickly.

End result I try to fit a new section of suitable timber in and fill small gaps with wood filler/putty. Down fall longer repair time upside better finish. Horses for courses. I think for memory I mostly used the plastic wood you suggested.

But then I tend to take the long path.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects