Workshop
Ask a question

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

vica
Having an Impact

How to fill the holes and gouge in my door?

Hi, mates.Good morning!

The handle of my bedroom (image1) is out of work. I removed the old handle and now there are two holes in the door( image2)

Second problem ,the flush pull of new handle is 7mm length,but the old is 12mm, much bigger than new one. (Image3)The old handle also left a gouge in the door.( image 4)I need your guild to fill these holes and gouge before I install a new handle.The thickness of the door is 40mm. Thank you so much!

vica

612121FE-6CE8-4111-94BE-2685FE238AD3.jpeg

CE14CBBC-4EA8-461B-B9E6-16B8F336D9D1.jpeg

0AC97153-7A96-4BB0-9E29-EBFB342795ED.jpeg

1A995D72-34B1-49F7-9481-2793C30F5486.jpeg

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: how to fill the holes and gouge

Pleased for you hope you learnt a great deal

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I am very impressed with your work, @vica. That was not what I would consider an easy repair, and you've done a fine job of it.

Please let us know anytime you need assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

May I please ask if following can be used to repair the hole (see pics)

PXL_20210815_233716209.jpg

PXL_20210815_233737392.jpg

PXL_20210815_233721153.jpg

  

PXL_20210815_233712706.jpg

  

https://www.bunnings.com.au/poly-wall-repair-kit_p1710160?store=7175&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI65jCjcy08gIVy... 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newfast,

The issue you will have with using that product is that the damage appears to be quite deep, and it's going to take a lot of filling. That's also a soft plaster product that is not really designed for filling doors.

In all, this would be not an easy repair. If it were a standard door without the ornate work, I'd recommend you replace it. However, it might be hard to find an exact match for this door.

The only real option I can think of would be to fill the majority of the void with scrap timber, glueing it in place with Selleys Ezi Press 130g Liquid Nails. Make sure the timber you use isn't so thick it protrudes further out than the door's surface. It might also be worth squirting some Liquid Nails into the honeycomb of the door to solidify it and prevent the damaged skin from flexing. Once dry, you can start filling the area with Builder's Bog. That crack on the right-hand side is going to give you some issues, as the split has caused a difference in heights. You'll need to use filler to blend it in.

When you have filled the area, you'll need to sand the Builder's Bog down to the level of the door's surface before priming and painting.

Let me mention @TedBear and @Brad to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @newfast , I am wondering what the door belongs to...? If it is a cupboard door, you may be best to remove the covering on the other side, then if possible replace the damaged panel entirely, from the back, or at least put another panel behind it to  push the broken bits back toward their original location, so that the damage can be filled more easily. You would need a Multi-tool with saw attachment to cut both the back panel off (unless it can be levered off) and to cut the front panel off in the area of the frame's wood. (ie so the cut edge is hidden by the frame.) That will allow you to insert a new piece, slightly larger than the hole, (same size as the bit you remove) with its edges hidden by the frame. (Like inserting glass into a picture frame).  

If those options aren't available (eg not a cupboard door), perhaps you could squirt some expanding foam into the gaps to press the broken bits forward and provide a surface for filler to be applied to. If you try that,  use the foam sparingly, it expands a lot more than people expect. You can cut it back though. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

My thoughts on the crack...

I would try to put a pice of wood inside there to try to get it to level out, you may need a couple of counter sunk screws to help hold it together and my view is that it is easier to fill over the screw than trying to level it with bog.

Packing the hole out with timber will save on filling.

I normally fill things with Timbermate but as you are painting Builders Bog looks to be better suited but I haven't used it yet.

If I am sanding something flat I like this -

https://www.bunnings.com.au/uni-pro-plastic-hand-sander-with-grips_p1670753 

PXL_20210816_111316963.jpg

PXL_20210816_111247976.jpg

PXL_20210816_111302458.jpg

 it is the linen press door in the corridor and the 3rd pic shows the inside part.

I saw some clips online and felt I can do it but just want to flah thst I do mot have great DIY skills only can do simple things....

Do you have any recommendation for a compsny/tradie who can fix this? I just do not wanna spoil more by trying to do by myself

newfast
Having an Impact

PXL_20210816_212501523.jpg

 this is how the inside looks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newfast,

Does the styling of the door's front panels suit other elements in your home? If not, you might like to consider replacing them as the cost of having someone repair that damage could be put towards two new doors.

If you don't want to tackle this as a D.I.Y. job, we would suggest you use a site like Hipages or Airtasker to find a tradesperson.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

All bedroom, bathroom, laundry and linen doors are same deaign with different size :unhappy:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects