Workshop
Ask a question

How to replace this old lock?

vica
Having an Impact

How to replace this old lock?

Hi,Good morning!The lock of my bedroom is out work. This is the old lock ( imag1-3) . I removed it , filled the holes and gouge , but I can not find he same or alike moulding (image4). I think if I choose the same kind handle or lock ,everything will be fine . I am not vey satisfied with “rim night latch”, I prefer a lock with a handle . I think it maybe fit bedroom better. Then what can I do ?

049D16DA-DE1D-46D8-85E7-6E332C814BC7.jpeg

F9740D35-1ED9-427E-ADBB-0B0D1EC0627B.jpeg

74CD4C16-14A0-48D4-A1E5-1096A438012B.jpeg

3E23C034-B069-4219-83A2-B8D2122C5310.jpeg

Thank you!

Vica

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: which lock I should buy?

If you were after something you can lock from the outside with a key @vica, it would be an entrance set. I don't think you'll find that style of handle and lock available now as it is quite old. 

If you can't find the required moulding for image four, you'll need to use the closet-sized piece of timber to fill the gap and then use a 2-part bog to fill the rest. You can then sand the timber and bog into the same profile.

Once the door jamb has been filled, you can install a standard handle and lock mechanism similar to Ikonic Brushed Nickel Isabella Entrance Lever Set.

Please let me know if you have further questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc . I think it is miracle! It is amazing ! But I know nothing about bog .What is bog ? Do I need a drop tub or sth or spray to spray(?) bog ? Would you mind give me more details of how fix the door jamb with bog?  Thank you !

Vica

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vica,

You'll need to fill the bulk of the void with timber and then use bog to form the moulded section. I've re-created something similar to what you have there without the complex moulding on the edge. Unfortunately, my filler will take some time to dry, so I can't show you sanding it back. To re-create the moulded edge, you'll need to bulk up the filler in that area. Once it is dry, you'll need to sand it into the same profile as the moulding. This would be considered a fairly complex D.I.Y. task, and you might wish to employ a tradesperson's services to finish the work for you.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

IMG_20210302_145050685.jpgIMG_20210302_145057137.jpgIMG_20210302_145154798.jpgIMG_20210302_145205288.jpgIMG_20210302_145328528.jpgIMG_20210302_145637686.jpg

@MitchellMc   Your advise is always best . You have given me many help. I will do as what you say .Thank you so much and have a nice day !

Vica

65FB47BA-B0D1-4E36-B539-C96A597EDCD6.jpeg

2154E2D5-AA1D-4D77-AA6F-638655A93C17.jpeg

@MitchellMc  My plan is : fill the gouge with small timber and bog first, make a smooth face there . (Image1) Then two small timber stand closely following the moulding curve( image 2) . At last , fill all cracks with bog. Is it right ? Thank you again!

Vica

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds about correct, @vica. The bog is also hard enough to sand lines into it following the moulding. This would take some time to do with precise work and can be quite tricky. There is a timber bead that might suit that corner mould: Porta 11 x 9mm 2.4m Tasmanian Oak Rounded Glass Bead Moulding

Mitchell 

@MitchellMc . Your words is so right! I want to take advantage of timber’s curve . If I can’t do very well, I just accept a rim night latch. It can covers this gouge. Thanks.

Vica

@MitchellMc  I have a new idea of door handles . I find a kind of handle in my neighbor house (image 1) .  I think it can covers part of the gouge of my door (image2) . It is bought in bunnings , but my neighbor forget its trademark. Maybe you can find it or sth. similar by special way,  that will help me a lot!

B68C82EA-B003-4AA6-890A-A637E0551438.jpeg

3888B041-5729-41C5-B984-CD2E88D3D3E5.jpeg

Thanks!

Vica

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's called a striker plate @vica. You'll find most door handles sets include something similar to the Ikonic Brushed Nickel Square Striker Plate in them. This is just the more modern version of what you had there before.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects