Workshop
Ask a question

How to replace this old lock?

vica
Having an Impact

How to replace this old lock?

Hi,Good morning!The lock of my bedroom is out work. This is the old lock ( imag1-3) . I removed it , filled the holes and gouge , but I can not find he same or alike moulding (image4). I think if I choose the same kind handle or lock ,everything will be fine . I am not vey satisfied with “rim night latch”, I prefer a lock with a handle . I think it maybe fit bedroom better. Then what can I do ?

049D16DA-DE1D-46D8-85E7-6E332C814BC7.jpeg

F9740D35-1ED9-427E-ADBB-0B0D1EC0627B.jpeg

74CD4C16-14A0-48D4-A1E5-1096A438012B.jpeg

3E23C034-B069-4219-83A2-B8D2122C5310.jpeg

Thank you!

Vica

Re: which lock I should buy?

@MitchellMc  This looks fitting my door, isn’t it ? Thank you a lot !

Vica 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It is a different style striker plate than what was there originally, @vica. You still might need to repair the door frame to install it if you can't place it in a different location. I'd suggest the best option would be to have the door and frame repaired and then install a standard handle and striker plate.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc  I mean this can reduce the difficulty to repair the door frame . I have filled the holes in the door with the timbermate wood filers which you recommend me before . I sanded them with Ozito random orbital sander . Now it is very smooth. It is amazing ! Appreciate !

Vica

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That door looks fantastic, @vica, well done!

Due to the cutout section, I am not sure whether an Ikonic Brushed Nickel Square Striker Plate will be able to be installed there. I would imagine the area still needs to be repaired, or the striker plate needs to be mounted elsewhere.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc  I want to try install it . Thank you very much  and have a nice weekend!

Vica

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects