Workshop
Ask a question

How to whitewash interior brick wall?

marynicoloff
Just Starting Out

How to whitewash interior brick wall?

I have an interior brick wall I was thinking of whitewashing, it's a pale brick so not sure if it would turn out ok. What sort of paint and technique should I use.

16563177887678500117028972780744.jpg

TheRenoDad
Having an Impact

Re: whitewashing interior brick wall

Hi @marynicoloff 

Have you considered painting the bricks white instead of white washing?

It would be a much easier process and create a uniform even finish.

We painted our brown interior brick and it turned out great!

Before:

C266A4BB-31B9-41BE-B284-44FBD1CB6B88.jpeg

After:

B5866195-7FC7-41EC-8612-70AE187DCEEF.jpeg

432ED6F5-E365-4141-9951-800C303A80B4.jpeg

Cheers,

Luke | @TheRenoDad 

Post may contain sponsored content
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: whitewashing interior brick wall

Hello @marynicoloff

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about white washing your brick walls.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @TheRenoDad. I suggest having a look at this discussion - Living room transformation by @kbright. There you'll see that the fireplace has been white washed. You'll notice that because there are different coloured bricks in the brick layout the whitewash enhances the effect of subtle differences between bricks.

However, if they were a uniform colour that effect would not be noticeable. I propose comparing the photos of the white-washed wall and the white-painted wall and having a think about it. Generally, one way to do white-washing is to use a good primer-sealer and dilute it with water. You then apply this mixture with a brush and wipe off the excess with a clean rag. 

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving  and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects