Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Anti-spill pet bowl

amylee83
Getting Established

Anti-spill pet bowl

Who else has a problem with their 4 legged friend playing with their bowl outside?? Our darling Mia thinks it's great fun to tip her water and food bowls over. Me, not so much. The ants from her biscuits drive me insane! My husband and I came up with this and so far so good with her water bowl 🤞, so I decided to do a biscuit bowl as well 😉. I used silicon to stick the pot to the base, you could also fill the pot with stones to make it heavier again. I just coated the inside of the base with silicon so I can fill with water to stop ants crawling into the food bowl. I just took the bowl with me to our local Bunnings to make sure I got the right size pot and got a saucer a bit bigger than the base. You could even get creative & paint it nice colours to match your decor or add your pets name. 20190216_091602.jpg

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Pet Bowl

Great idea, thanks for sharing! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice one @amylee83, many thanks for sharing such a clever solution with the community.

You might also be interested to see these designs from other community members:

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. We're really happy to have you join the community and look forward to seeing more of your handiwork soon. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project or have something new to share. And please let me know if you ever have any feedback about how we can improve the site for you.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Great idea !! That's something that I need also..
Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Re: Anti-spill pet bowl

Thats a great idea :smile:   Im actually struggling with the beginnings of a ant issue with my dog food bowls and Ive been looking for ideas like this :smile:  Your one holds a good amount of water to help combat evaporation too :smile:

I run a "emergency" water bowl for my dog outside that fills up automatically as it catches the rainwater from the shed roof as well incase he knocks over his normal one (he cant knock this one over as the bowl is so big and heavy mainly lol but the downpipe also helps hold it there) 

I just cut the downpipe from my shed off maybe a metre above ground level - I then grabbed the offcut downpipe left behind and a pair of pliers and I "flared out" one end of it, then put the bowl down and jammed the offcut pipe straight over the downpipe still on the wall (that way its easy to pull off the 1 metre of downpipe cutoff - and remove the bowl for the odd clean - looking at the photo I just took its due lols) and it also waters the grass if it overflows I guess lols

Cheers for posting your idea I'll definatly will be keeping a eye out for a suitable pot and base next bunnings visit (might have to take my dog food bowl in to match somthing)

IMG_20190224_093717.jpg

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Prawns...It's not a good idea to give your dog water from a down pipe..Have you ever seen what accumulates in a gutter !!?
It can have rodent droppings and even dead animals or birds, plus all the muck from dead mulchy leaves...
Who knows what sort of germs lurk up there!!..and having the down pipe in the water is not good either..Not a good idea..

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Never pulled a leaf or a dead animal from my gutters here before (not ever, theres no trees nearby but we are prone to bushfires so I check guttering regularly anyway so yeah Im pretty sure of whats up there) the only thing that gets washed down...is the sand as you can see in the photo (which is about 3 months worth of buildup from windy dry conditions here lately) I saw a dead grasshopper in there once, but i think he jumped in directly

Funny enough - the next town over is on water tanks (no town water) its sourced from all their roof guttering thats used as a catchment (granted its filtered against solids so they dont see the sand buildup at the other end but they are drinking from their guttering in alot worse condition as well in alot of cases)
Prof
Becoming a Leader

You're fortunate to have such clean gutters...If I let my dog drink from my gutter I think he would be dead in a couple of days !!
I have a huge ghost gum out the front of my place..and it not only drops leaves and gum nuts, but it also drops all of it's bark this time of year..
I also have bush rats the size of small dogs that like to use the gutters !!..Oh the joys of country living..
Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Yeah we get fires every summer here (one road in and one road out so evacuating isnt always a option) so I definatly keep my gutters clean as I put tshirts in the downpipes and fill the guttering up with water when theres fires around as some protection from ember attack :smile:  My shed gutter kind of self cleans as well as when I mounted it - I ran a pretty sever angle so water runs inside the gutters faster -  pretty much flushes even the dirt down the end and into the downpipe :smile:

A few more summers though - neighbours trees/leaves might start being a issue as they get taller I guess. My dogs got other bowls to drink from - thats more his "emergency" one though incase we have a fire here and I cant get home for a couple days or whatever I guess

IMG_20180818_193456.jpg

Prof
Becoming a Leader

WOW!! That looks like a serious fire!! When did that happen and how far away was it?
I'm very lucky when it comes to bush fires with the place I bought recently..I'm up high overlooking the River Murray with a cliff face behind me..It's highly unlikely that a fire would ever reach me..
I should also mention about the dog water drinking situation..I board dogs, so I couldn't take any risks with dogs drinking from the gutters!..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects