Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

Shannon
Making a Splash

Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

image.jpeg

Re: Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

Hi @jeremytan,

The Buildex 8 18 x 30mm Climacoat Countersunk Ribbed Head Metal Tek Screws are self-drilling, so there is no need to pre-drill holes. Be mindful that since one of your batons is mid-panel, you'll only be able to fix it into the posts at either end. If you were to place screws in the middle, they'd penetrate through the panel onto the neighbour's side. This isn't an issue at the top as you have the rail to screw into.

To attach the bamboo panels, you'll want a screw that is long enough to go through the depth of the half bamboo piece and into the batten. Something similar to the Buildex 10-8 x 65mm Climacoat® 3 Countersunk Rib Head Treated Pine Screws should be in the right ballpark. Once again, you don't want something so long that it will bottom out on the Colorbond fence.

Our members will be interested in following along with your project. We'd love to hear about your progress and see your finished results.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jeremytan
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

please see below two photos for progress.

At this stage, I decided to just attach it to the top baton, and am still figuring out how to attach the bottom. Or just let it hang loose - but prefer to fix it to the colorbond I think… thoughts ?

EEC30BA2-F9C4-4A0C-A3D4-0C2B849EE488.jpeg

680B1787-D26B-47AF-B1DE-979CD694D9C4.jpeg

Great progress @jeremytan, well done. 

@MitchellMc is taking a well-earned break today but will be back on the site tomorrow to assist you. Apologies for the delay. 

Jason

That's looking sensational, @jeremytan!

I believe the easiest way to fix the bottom edge would by running the same baton as you have done on the top except only fixed into the uprights. Did you run into difficulties fixing that bottom baton?

It looks like you've slipped the bottom edge behind the raised garden bed, so I can't imagine you'll have too many issues letting them hang there. You could screw through the back wall of the raised garden bed directly into the panels, which would fix them in place.

Mitchell

jeremytan
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc.

The colorbond fence was harder than expected, so the self drilling screws didn't work too well as it ended up just pushing off the colorbond and into the timber batons. Ended up pre-drilling holes, which turned out to be quicker.

But I might find a way of securing the bottom of the panels to prevent them from moving over its design life, as I imagine that might damage the fixing point at the top of the panel.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

868FEE1C-A0A6-4AD1-9AF0-E724DA0FF536.jpeg

@MitchellMc 

Would this system work with some not so fancy bamboo slats? I’m looking into the Eden bamboo stats. 
Trying to keep this project low budget… 

Can you even drill into those slats, or will they snap? 
Better yet, I’d love to be able to install bamboo screening over a colorbond fence without needing to drill at all! 
I’m wondering is there could be a way to use light weight screening and attach it somehow with cable ties?? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lmad5188

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your query about bamboo fencing.

To answer your immediate question about drilling into the bamboo the answer is yes you don't need to drill into it. You can run the zip ties between the slats to fix it to the fence. However, to mount it to your Colorbond fence, you will have to drill some mounting holes. 

Attaching the EDEN 1.8 x 3m Bamboo Slat Screen Fencing directly to the Colorbond fence with zip ties is the most cost-effective solution I can see at the moment. I suggest a fixing point every half meter at the top and bottom of the Colorbond fence to prevent the bamboo screen from tilting in high wind.

Here is a handy link to give you ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular fence projects

Let me tag experienced members @diy_hausdesigns and @tom_builds for further recommendations.

If you need more information or advice about your project please let us know.

Eric

Welcome @lmad5188,

I think @EricL has the most cost effective solution sorted, all I would add is that you'll need to drill two holes at each fixing if fixing into the colorbond panel so that the cable tie can secure behind it. Otherwise you might be able to get away with a single screw in the top and bottom caps in line with the valleys (the further away) of the sheeting.

Good luck with your project, I'm sure that adding bamboo screening to that area will have an immediate positive impact on the look of it!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom_builds

Thank you so much for the extra recommendations. I'm sure @lmad5188 will find your suggestion helpful.

Eric

lmad5188
Just Starting Out

Thanks you for the advise @EricL ! 
As I am renting, I’m wondering if there is a way to ‘patch’ or cover holes in a colorbond fence once I move out? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects