Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

Shannon
Making a Splash

Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

image.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

Hello @lmad5188

Thank you for sharing that question about patching your Colorbond fence.

You can use small nuts and bolts spray painted in the same colour as the Colorbond to make it blend in with the fence. You could use sticky dots of the same colour as the fence. Other forms of repair will require you to use putty and sanding. However, that form of repair will make it more noticeable.

If you need more information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you - Just used your instructions and links to do exactly the same thing!

@MitchellMcany tips for attaching the capping? (https://www.bunnings.com.au/lattice-makers-900-x-80mm-black-bamboo-screen-capping_p3041183)fence.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @HelgaDaisy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your bamboo fence project.

My colleague @MitchellMc is currently on a much-deserved parental leave. It's great that the instructions and guides helped you to put up your own fence. To put the capping on I recommend drilling into the corner of the bamboo cap and the top of the fence. Once you have the fence cap in the position you want it in you can use Whites 1.25mm x 30m Galvanised Tie Wire.

I suggest threading the wire through the cap and into the hole you made on the fence. Once threaded you simply twist the wire to hold the cap in place. I recommend not to over twist the wire so that you can hide it under the bamboo cap.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

HelgaDaisy
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL I’ll give it a go 👍🏼

The stain that was used on the bamboo fence is called "Rose Mahogany" Can you please tell me what brand it is and how many litres it comes in?

Is it possible if you can upload an image of the product?

Thanks heaps

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Marcia1.

Let me tag @Shannon to see if they can share more about the stain that was used. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be able to share suggestions.

Will you be using the stain on a similar bamboo fence panel or another material?

Stevie

Yes, I have a bamboo fence. 

7BD25174-5F69-495E-B852-A3A4A4CE4045.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Marcia1

Thank you so much for posting a photo of your bamboo fence. I can see only one brand at the store that carries that colour Cabot's 1L Rose Mahogany Exterior Varnish & Stain. It is a semi-transparent stain and varnish, highly durable and weather-resistant. I suggest washing your fence with Selleys 1L Wall Surface Cleaner Super Concentrate Sugar Soap in combination with a Sabco Flow-Thru Water Brush to remove any dirt or debris. 

Once the fence is dry, I suggest testing the Rose Mahogany in a hidden spot to see if the colour is to your liking. It sounds like an excellent fence refresh project. Any updates you can provide once the fence has been repainted would be much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for this @Shannon it’s been really helpful for our project. We are just at the last panel now and it’s almost like the screws need to be longer or wider as they’re not gripping when they’ve formed a hole. Is there any suggestions for that? Thank you again 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@LJ1809,

Has this issue only started happening on the last panel? What type of screws are you using? There are a couple of different types of self-tapping screws. If you've used one similar to these Zenith 10G x 75mm Gold Passivated Self Embedding Head Metal Screws Winged on this sheet steel, the wings have likely not broken off and enlarged the hole too far for the thread to grip. This winged style screw is used for thicker steel that breaks the tips off. You'll need to use something closer to Zenith 10G x 65mm Galvanised Countersunk Head Metal Screws that are still self-drilling but don't have the wings.

The screws could also be too short if the thread isn't reaching the steel. You'll need to make sure the screw is longer than the screening is thick by at least a couple of centimetres.

If you can let us know what screws you're using, that would be helpful.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects