Workshop
Ask a question

Bunnings bee house

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Bunnings bee house

I've tried my hand at making several recycled pallet homes for solitary bees in the past which turned out quite well.

I was informed that a local Hospital were trying to get their hands on one as their old one was destroyed.

Because it was for a children's ward play area, I thought I might try something a little bit different and build a Bunnings Warehouse.

I use Meranti Timber plus a full compliment of Ryobi tools including,Drill driver, Belt Sander, Bradder 18v and a Palm sander.

This is the first time I've used a 18v Brad Nailer before, I've got say I was seriously impressed with the ease of which I put together the timber. Saved me a tonne of time I would usually spend pre-drilling and screwing. It's my new favourite tool!

Coated it with Dulux Aqua Enamel after priming it.

Pretty happy with how it turned out, better than I expected.

With full disclosure, I am a Bunnings Team Member, so you can see where the inspiration came from.

1[1].png2[1].jpg3[1].png4[1].jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bunnings 'BEE'house

Fantastic work @MitchellM. Many thanks for sharing. I'm sure the kids think its the bees knees. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That looks great! Well done!

Well done they would love it
Regards Michael
JimBobo
Just Starting Out

Looks great! You will need to however drill open all the closed ends of bamboo so the bees can enter them.

Have a look at the great info via this link-

https://www.valleybees.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ATTRACT-BEES-january-2019-1-1.pdf

Cheers,

Jim.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @JimBobo. I'm sure @MitchellM and the rest of the Workshop community appreciate the tip. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of helpful members sharing advice and inspiration every day, so I'm sure you'll fit right in! 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@JimBobo Thanks for the tip Jim as some might not realise. There are no 'closed' ends to the bamboo, cuts were made mid nodules. What you are seeing is the pith on the inside, it deteriorates within weeks. I believe the the bees would also clear it out themselves as it is soft, however I have revisted several I've made in the past and none had this materially remaining. Whether it was bees that clears it out I'm not sure.
Thanks for the tip though. 👍

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects