Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can balcony balastrate footings be fixed after tiling?

Gillie1
Growing in Experience

Can balcony balastrate footings be fixed after tiling?

Balcony Balastrate footings. Tiling going to be done - Can footings be done after tiling

IMG_3660.jpegIMG_3661.jpegIMG_3662.jpegIMG_3659.jpegIMG_3660.jpegIMG_3661.jpegIMG_3661.jpegIMG_3659.jpegIMG_3660.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can balcony balastrate footings be fixed after tiling?

Hello @Gillie1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have yo join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing your steel balustrade.

From a repair point of view, I suggest repairing the balustrade first by digging into the concrete foundations and establishing a new post for the rails. This would be the ideal way to repair it rather than having to address the damage once the tiles have been put into place. I recommend engaging the services of a registered welder and you can either have it repaired or replaced with a new set.

Please note that if your balcony is very high and the balustrade is severely damaged, I suggest isolating the area to prevent anyone from leaning onto the balustrade. If repair work needs to be conducted at height, it might be necessary to use scaffolding and a trade person to carry out the repair.      

Please take all necessary precautions to make sure that everyone is safe when passing through the area.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gillie1
Growing in Experience

Thankyou so much for answering. The concrete flooring which the tiler will waterproof and screen? Is that the terminology??  Anyway there is no one under me I am the ground floor so safety is OK but if I cannot get or find a welder will it be very difficult for the balastrate to be done after ?. Your suggestion  I know is the ideal one but it appears we are not in an ideal world and by looks and without knowing enough maybe the whole thing needs replacing in which case then it becomes a more difficult project because the Body Corp know of my retiling  but of nothing else and I feel it will then come under their realm which means it will be on the never never scheme.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Gillie1 

I suggest doing a bit of research for steel fence makers on google or perhaps you can speak to the property custodian and ask them if they have the contact for the fence fabricator that made the original railing. Now that you've mentioned the Body Corp, I'm afraid the railing will have to look exactly like the one that was there as I'm sure they will want to keep a uniform look.

It is possible to assemble a different balustrade system using the fence systems available at the store, but the issue is will it pass the Body Corp scrutiny. I propose looking for a local welder first and getting a quote for the railing. Another way to do it is to post the job on Airtasker or Hipages and see what kind of quote you get. I also suggest asking family and friends if they happen to know a builder who happens to know a welder.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Gillie1
Growing in Experience

footings balastrate balcony

IMG_3660.jpeg

Is it OK for waterproofing to be done prior to balcony rail footings being repairs or replaced

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: footings balastrate balcony

Hi @Gillie1,

The first step is to have the balustrading repaired. All other work comes after that. The concrete must be removed to repair the balustrading when installing new uprights. It's fairly major work and can't be done after waterproofing or tiling, as it will damage that work. The tiling is an aesthetic fix for the area's look and comes after functional repairs to the balustrade. I understand it might be difficult to find someone to repair the balustrade, but this issue must be resolved before all other work as it could involve a significant additional cost to try and deal with it later.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Gillie1 

I saw this pass my feed and went woooooo I know that feeling!

I have a question tho I think I know the answer. Are those metal posts connected to meltal handrails? I am presuming so as to teh talk of a welder needed.

I had the same issue but my handrails were timber. I had two posts totaly hanging in the breeze. I have managed to repair it and the posts feel solid. With the posts that you have shown id suggest to replace those for sure as the rust looks like its gone forther then a third through them.

Here is my project, I havnt put up the timber slats yet as am saving $$$ :smile: The posts were sealed and then put in place. I have leant on tehm, shaken tehm and it seems to be solid. I had to use two new pieces of iron as the old ones were like yours.

Concrete patio repair 

I would suggest to do all the prep work (post repair) and handrails, concrete repair before the tiling starts. Its easier to sort out issues and not have to redo work that way.

Dave

Gillie1
Growing in Experience

Hello Eric,  again about this rusted out balastrate fitting .  I have tried through Hipages with no replies for a welder or anybody in that field. a handyman that came to my aid for another job suggested a type of splint then putting a bolt through it therefore not actually taking the thick spike / footing out but rejoining it that way and then cementing the base ready for screening waterproofing and finally tiling. Do you have any thoughts on that??? Gillian

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @Gillie1 

I think @EricL is away until tomorrow.

Always willing to throw my two bobs in :smile:

It certainly sounds like a pain. Are you set on the same type of balcony handrail? It may be an easier solution to have a different type put in? I understand about the body corporate but maybe if you had a suggestion of what balcony that could be replaced and an estimated cost they may take it on board?

The handrail is unsafe so it definently becomes an issue. Maybe a two pronged project. First step replace handrail with the body corporate and then once that is done start on the retiling of your balcony your way? That way the body corporate isnt involved with part two.

Dave

Gillie1
Growing in Experience

Hi Dave thank’s for replying and I am happy to have your two bobs worth   Body Corp when speaking to them were fine  about me retiling but the balastrate they were not willing to assist and had nobody on their books that could help especially welders. It all boils down to having to put in some effort and ofcourse money as although I am just paying for it myself the balastrate may come under exterior common boundary which by rights is under their jurisdiction monetary wise.??  With that being said and trying to do the right thing my handyman will be at a Bunnings tomorrow am looking for bits and pieces and some poor unsuspecting employee ear.  Anyway do you have any opinion about this possible splint solution??  Gillian 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects