Workshop
Ask a question

Cement sheeting on timber fence

Patto
Having an Impact

Cement sheeting on timber fence

I have just had a new rear timber fence installed. My side is the railing side and as I have a new swimming pool this new fence forms part of our pool safety barrier. As such I need to ensure the pool area of this new fence is non-climbable. I have already check with the inspector who is due to come and inspect early next week and they will not sign off on what many have suggested being a 60 degree wedge attached to the new railings. I am looking at battening out the rails and attaching fibre cement sheeting. Has anyone done this before? Not too sure on which way to hang the sheets either horizontal or vertical? Does it even matter??? Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cement sheeting on timber pailing fence

Hi @Patto,

Generally, cement sheeting is laid horizontally as it is easier to install the boards, and the joins are at one height for jointing. In your case, you might like to install them vertically, so you get a uniform sheet distribution across the span instead of having to jigsaw pieces together to fill the gaps. Check your spacing and the available sizes to work out which orientation will work best. You should find this installation guide for HardiTex useful.

@Midyandy recently posted a discussion on fencing screening where they appear to have a similar situation to yourself. Perhaps they might let us know if they have made any progress or had some tips.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Patto @MitchellMc 

We have yet to commence our fence plan yet. 

Not sure where you are based @Patto but here in QLD, the rail section when on the inside is not considered part of a climable zone. Our design is purely for beautification.

@Midyandy Thank you 

BD5E33FE-3310-4669-8479-295E6145A5AB.jpeg

@MitchellMc @Thanks. I ended up angling the sheets vertically. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Fantastic work @Patto! You've certainly got that job finished rather quickly. 

You might like to check out some of our screen panel options, which could add some interest to the wall. For some more inspiration, I'd recommend having a look at @ProjectPete's Feature fences, as they are truly a sight to behold.

We look forward to hearing all about your other projects around the home and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share.

Many thanks for your update.

Mitchell

Cracks
Getting Established

Hi Patto,

Looking at replicating your project as it would appear very similar. Would be interested to know how you battened the fence to fix the cement sheet?

What size timber you used? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Cracks. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this wonderful project.

Let me mention @Patto so they are alerted to your questions and hopefully can provide you with an answer. In the meantime, you should find this installation guide for HardiTex useful. It provides you will all the information you need to install the fibre cement boards.

We'll be looking forward to following along with your project. Please let us know if you need further assistance or would like to share it with our members.

Mitchell

Cracks
Getting Established

Went ahead with the project and thought I would share a couple of photos. Pleased with the result!

Only had one "before" photo but you can see the difference.IMG_3511.jpeg66537964384__7319B054-4718-4A13-A4BC-ED29010CA0E5.JPG66537966261__7DBD4CF2-0963-4F63-8831-2D773CB839AE.JPG66537967358__2B933463-7A12-49E2-B496-A81C6025B4DE.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Cracks

Thank you so much for posting those photo updates. It certainly has made a big difference as all the dark shade of the fence has been replaced with a bright finish. It gives the area a Mediterranean look and feel. If you had enough space, I would recommend putting in a white pergola next to the pool to complete the look. Adding the Matrix panels is a nice touch and gives the wall a very good visual feature.

How long did it take you to put it all up? Did you nail it in or did you screw the panels on? Any advice or tips you can share with our members who are thinking of doing the same project would be highly appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing your fencing project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects