Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Creating a complete outdoor BBQ space

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Creating a complete outdoor BBQ space

originally started this outdoor area to enjoy Easter with the family at my place. It suddenly became a space where we would honour and cherish my mums memories. I made use of free pallet wood for all exterior panelling, pinched a few spoons from her kitchen for handles and got creative. This is my first project, so I’m a newbie when it comes to building anything! EABDF4C5-2131-41C7-A4C1-EBFBD095EA0D.jpeg

I had an existing concrete slab so I built a pergola with these dimensions. Post stirrups were cemented in place and I created the pergola with sawn treated pine 100x100, sleepers and treated pine timber. All profiles I cut with circular saw and jigsaw and sanded to round off profiles. 

F56D3EA4-F9DC-4CC7-9D34-CF97C4B724E2.jpeg

Finished pergola. 

359CB688-3B1C-497C-9718-1B8B5183B495.jpeg

I measured the existing frame and constructed a new frame with small counter tops. I lined with cement sheeting and made cement counter tops (reinforced). 

1D5BF80D-95AF-45EC-9CBF-2C6053144C28.jpeg

I attached a retractable outdoor blind for some sun blockout. The corners of the BBQ area I added some thin wood off cuts (2mm). Sprayed black and attached to break up all the pallet wood. 

E25A0031-2867-4750-A73D-A1EFC4371B72.jpeg

1EFBC510-AA81-4B8B-9393-EF4FEBE3F33D.jpeg

Please consult with your local council regarding pergola construction and height etc. as different rules apply. The Mumme Reno bar was a life saver to dismantle the pallets. It was money well spent for me. 

Banksy
Finding My Feet

Re: Creating a complete outdoor BBQ space

Love the door handles (spoons from Mum's kitchen )   am a little worred about the overhead Uv shade .. Is it fireproof  ?  

I'm guessing gas BBQs don't throw off sparks. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Banksy. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Let me mention @sandy_d so they are alerted to your kind comment about their project.

Do you have any projects or plans for around your home and garden? We'd encourage you to share them with us or reach out if you ever need assistance. I trust you'll find loads of inspirational projects to complete within the community which our amazing member contribute daily.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@Banksy @I guess I never really considered sparks, it’s not something I’ve seen but anything is possible. I could always retract the blind when the BBQ is in use to prevent danger. Thank you, it’s always good to be safe than sorry 😊

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

This is just awesome @sandy_d   I love recycled items... and the icing on the cake the handles... Just love them...   I've used older cutlery for a few projects in the past... Knives forks and spoons.. 

Thank you for sharing, it gives so many folks myself included, inspiration to get in and make other things out of old pallets... etc..

This old gal.

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Thank you so so much @Old-gal24 @I love using bits I have around the house and pallets, it gives it a little more character :smile: 

Yes it does.  I also love pottering around making things for my home...  it's self rewarding for sure. :smile:

Bev2
Getting Established

Looks great !

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bev2. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Let me mention @sandy_d, so they are alerted to your kind comment about their project.

Would you like to build something similar to this yourself? I trust our community members would be full of helpful advice and encouragement.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance or if you have something to share. You'll find loads more inspirational projects within the community just like this one, as our members contribute their handiwork every day.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Thank you :smile: @Bev2 

RDBuild
Growing in Experience

This was your first build, wow, so creative and amazing.  Job well done I say and hope you enjoy many wonderful times there whilst cherishing your Mum's memories.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects