Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. front stairs project

PaulR
Finding My Feet

D.I.Y. front stairs project

Bought some used stair rails from Gumtree and cut them down to size.

IMG_1419(1).JPEG

Cleaned them up with a wire brush and welded on some brackets.

IMG_1421(1).JPEG

A coat of primer before 2 coats of gloss enamel.  

IMG_1430(1).JPEG

  

Bolted and concreted into place. 

IMG_0307(1).JPEG

Marked, drilled and test fitted the treads before removing and painting.

IMG_1517.JPEG

Painted with a met roller using Dulux Weathershield low sheen and now ready to fit.

IMG_1524.JPEG

Assistance on hand with smaller fingers for the bolts.

IMG_1525.JPEG

Stairs done. 

IMG_1526.JPEG

Next is the handrail. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: D.I.Y. front stairs project

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PaulR. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

Those are some solid-looking stair rails that I trust will survive the test of time. You and your helper have done a fantastic job putting these stairs together. How are you going to construct the handrail?

I look forward to following along with the rest of your project and can't wait to see it finished. Please let us know if you need any assistance or have questions.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @PaulR 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. That is fantastic repurposing! Nothing like giving those rails a second life. I strongly suggest to put a heavy coat of rust primer and all purpose steel paint at the bottom of the rail to give the rails an extra long life while exposed to the elements. What kind of welding equipment did you use?

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Yeah I used Rust Guard primer and two coats of gloss enamel over the top of it. The stairs are under the eaves so won’t see a lot of weather.

Welding was done with a mig.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects