Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck railing project

GigiFlores
Just Starting Out

Deck railing project

Hi

I would like to build a white deck railing as the pictures attached. 

What type of materials do I need to get? This is from my front porch at home. I already have installed long white piles through the decking as the picture below.

a02a7b692939e5aa938ad50ea2c85658.jpg

Is there is a pre made railing fence that I can buy in Bunnings as the picture below?

1212.JPG

Thanks

Gigi

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Deck railing project

Hi @GigiFlores,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

Normally the ever-helpful Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc would be able to promptly assist you with this project but he is taking a well-deserved break at the moment. I will ask him to assist you when he returns next week. Many thanks for your patience in the meantime. I will tag other members who might be able to also assist: @Adam_W, @redracer01, @Brad, @TedBear, @Madmoggy, @DIYology

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GigiFlores,

I haven't seen any pre-made sections to suit this purpose before. You can build something similar by using a handrail, bottom rail and balustrade.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Can I find all those items in Bunnings? I was looking also to get some cap rail on Bunnings website and I couldnt find any.

Would you mind to send me some links about this product?

Many Thanks

Gigi

You can find all these products at Bunnings @GigiFlores

The links to them are:

I believe the cap rail you a referring to is the handrail I have linked above.

Mitchell

Hi Mitch, I was interested in this, but your suggestion is missing the vertical slats, and also the balastrade that travels higher to meet the pergola?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @muzzymuzzy. We're so pleased to have you join us and are confident you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Mitch will be back on the site tomorrow to assist you. Apologies for the delay in his reply. 

Looking forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Jason

Hi @muzzymuzzy,

There are a variety of different materials and styles to choose from. What size vertical slats were you interested in? As mentioned above, you could use Heritage 42 x 42 x 940mm Treated Pine Plain Baluster. Alternatively, there is Woodhouse 66 x 18mm 5.4m Pine Primed Fj Losp,  Woodhouse Weatherproof 138 x 30mm 6.0m F7 FJ H3 DAR LOSP Treated Primed Radiata Pine and Woodhouse 187 x 18mm 5.4m FJ LOSP H3 Dressed Primed Pine.

The posts which travel up to meet the roof would be 88 x 88 H3 LOSP pine. You might like to look at our complete range of H3 LOSP Pine as there are various combinations you can use.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

What is the lineal meterage cost for the timber balustrade?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Waynewite. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on this project.

All the products used to create this balustrade are sold in 5.4 or 6.0m lengths. It is possible to work out a per-meter cost, but that depends on things like your spacing for the vertical slats, the height of the handrail, how often you'll be installing posts and their height. 

Per meter for a balustrade that is 1000mm high, the handrail, bottom rail and 42 x 42mm uprights spaced 100mm apart would be roughly $110. That doesn't include your posts or various fixings. If you can draw a diagram of how you'd like to construct the balustrade, perhaps we can get closer to an exact dollar figure.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects