Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Farmhouse rustic table

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Farmhouse rustic table

20210402_113055 (1).jpeg

Hi everyone and happy easter!

I built another version of my "Computer desk build" post for the outside patio area. We needed a table to replace the old plastic one we were using. 

I used the Ironwood Sienna Treated Pine Sleeper (200 x 50mm 2.4m) for the tabletop and just cut it to size with a circular saw. Pieces were joined together using dowel joints and glue. The surface was sanded (80 grit, then 220 grit) , and 3 coats of varnish were applied over a week. Let it dry 24 hrs before the next coat. Final sanding with 220 grit.

It's pretty sturdy, and although not perfect, looks rustic and should last for a long time. It cost around $140-150 for all the raw materials and the table measure are  600mm wide, 2200mm long and 880mm high. 

Ready to goReady to go20210401_150319.jpg20210327_171025.jpgBrackets to add strengthBrackets to add strengthRaw pine sleepersRaw pine sleepersJoining the piecesJoining the pieces

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Farmhouse Rustic Table

That came up looking fantastic @Nham! You've also taken the hard work away from me finding out what a pine sleeper would look like sanded down. I've always wanted to know whether they could be used for furniture such as this and now I know. I trust you're happy with how they turned out, as I know I would be. How long did it take you to sand them down with 80 grit?

Many thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to see your next project. Perhaps some bench seats to go along with it?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Farmhouse Rustic Table

Hi @MitchellMc,

Really happy with the finished product and, it looks better in real life. Should last forever...

It took about 2 1/2 hours for the sanding, starting with the 80 and then the 220 grit. I use the small Ryobi 300W Random Orbital Sander.

Lots of dust and you need to work outside. After the 220 grit, it is very smooth to touch, but the timber comes to life after the varnish.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects