Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fence makeover for the pool area

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Fence makeover for the pool area

Unsurprisingly, I'm not a fan of colourbond fencing, and particularly not the cream colour the estate decided to go with.

Again unsurprisingly, given my love for timber, I thought "Why don't we just cover it in wood?!?". So off I went to my friend's timber mill (a 7hr round trip) to pick up 800kg of freshly cut Marri wood. (I've painted the remainder of the fence shale grey which I'm much happier with)

I framed it with treated pine and staggered the rough sawn Marri across the lot for a rustic and 'cosy' effect.

Took an average of 4mins to file the rough edges and oil each piece of wood and there are over 100 pieces in the project. Add to that the time to frame and fix the pieces to the frame (particularly hard with slightly mishapen wood (rustic)) and deal with the Perth heat lately, it was a BIG project - but we're stoked with the end product.

BEFORE
pool.jpg

DURING
poolfence1.jpg

AFTER (excuse the pool cover and noodles)

ffence4.jpgfence.jpgfence1.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: Fence makeover for the pool area

Thanks we won’t be doing it ourselves - it’ll be a Pool company but I was just curious! 😁

soloreno
Getting Established

Wow what a difference, sorry if this has been asked but what is the make of the pool it looks perfect for what I am wanting too! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @soloreno. It's terrific you've joined us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Are you looking at installing a pool? I'm sure @ProjectPete would be more than happy to share the details with you.

We look forward to hearing all about the projects and plans you have around your house and garden. We'd encourage you to let us know whenever you need help or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community, as our creative members contribute their projects here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi thank you I’m a little way off doing my pool just yet as I didn’t think they had many around that were smaller I’m after something like that one in the pic. Although I’m doing my house at the moment and it’s huge so pool will have to wait for now 😁

Best thing to do is search for "plunge pools" - plenty of options now @soloreno 

Obviously concrete pools give you more flexibility in finals design, size, shape, etc. Built a concrete pool myself in most recent home - much happier.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks so much really appreciate your help I knew there was a name for them! I’m excited at the thought. 

Cheers 

Shay 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We can't wait to follow along with your project @soloreno. Please feel free to reach out whenever you need assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

cesposito82
Just Starting Out

Hi @ProjectPete

Newbie question: how do you secure the timber framing to the colorbond fence without having the screws popping out on the neighbour side?

I'm thinking of doing something like this but worried that the screws on the other side of the fence might be an hazard and aesthetically awful

Cheers 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cesposito82. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

Let me mention @ProjectPete, so he is alerted to your question. Pete's goes into more detail on the fixing method in his feature fences discussion. He's mentioned previously that fixings are screwed directly into the top and bottom rail instead of the sheeting itself. The rails are thicker than the sheeting, so your screws won't penetrate the neighbour's side.

We'd love to follow along with your project. Please let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with us.

MItchell

LeeLee81
Just Starting Out

LOVE this , looks fantastic. How did you attach the timber to the colourbond , just screws in the thicker parts ?

thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects