Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front porch decking over concrete

Kalai11
Growing in Experience

Front porch decking over concrete

16099233739871791341054738715454.jpg

Hi guys saw a lot of discussion on decking over concrete and also quite many amazing DIY results. Finally got may own place so now I am curious to try my hand at decking over concrete slab for the front porch area. Looking for some guidance to get started.

Thanks in advance

Kalai11
Growing in Experience

Re: Front Porch Decking over concrete

@MitchellMc This is amazing thank you so very much. I think I am all set for the trip to Bunnings now. Will keep this thread updated as I being work.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Make sure to keep us updated @Kalai11 and please feel free to reach out if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kalai11
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc Just placed the order for timber and the merbau boards. I just wanted to ask how many pedestal feet i will need ? as in how many feet i would need per frame ? and also what screws to purchase for the feet?

Will i also need to joist anchors ? and if so what screws for them ?

I have a Ryobi Drill Driver, will that tool be enough for this job ? i plan to get a circular saw as well.

Thanks in advance,

Kalai

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kalai11,

Did you decide to run the joists parallel to the wall instead of perpendicular as in your last plan? If you are using the supplied plan, which would mean your boards run parallel to the wall, I have marked where the pedestal feet should be located. You'll also need to continue those joists closest to the blue line across, as you currently have nothing to nail the ends of the last boards off on.

If you did want the boards running perpendicular to the wall, I have included a plan with the joists running parallel to it.

Buildex 8-10 x 40mm Climacoat Countersunk Ribbed Head Treated Pine Screws - 100 Pack would be suitable for attaching the joists' feet. The Builders Edge Pedestal Foot Smallfoot 35 - 60mm is a standalone method of raising the joists, and no additional joist anchors are required.

The drill you currently have and a circular saw should suffice in constructing the deck. There are plenty of 240v circular saws that will do the job. However, you might like to consider an 18v Ryobi circular saw if you have already invested in that range. I own one, and it's a fantastic tool for many jobs around the home.

Mitchell

Kalai11
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMc thank you so very much, missed to mention that we wanted to run the decking perpendicular to the wall yes. Just one thing, so at the "T" intersections, do I need to place an L bracket to secure them ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Kalai11,

You can either use a Pryda Joist Hanger Suits 45 x 90mm or screw through the joint with a couple of longer Buildex 10-8 x 100mm Climacoat Countersunk Ribbed Head Treated Pine Screws.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects