Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ho do you get a post plumb using a bolt down anchor?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Ho do you get a post plumb using a bolt down anchor?

I want to place some posts on existing concrete using Pryda bolt-down post anchors. https://www.bunnings.com.au/pryda-post-anchor-bolt-down-w-washer-100mm-m10_p1070068 The concrete is slightly sloped but the post needs to be plumb. What is the best way to get it plumb? I have done a similar job in the past just using window spacers under the plate, but that was just for a freestanding screen, nothing weight bearing. I want to do it a bit more professionally this time. Thanks. 

Is there a better way to get it plumb?Is there a better way to get it plumb?

Highlighted
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ho do you get a post plumb using a bolt down anchor?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mh. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I've made contact with Pryda in regards to your question. Since this is a weight-bearing application in order for the post support to function correctly shimming is not an option. You'll need to lay a level bed of structural grout for the post anchor to sit on.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks very much @MitchellMc. Sounds like a good solution that would also look good.

Would you lay the grout first before attaching the bolt down anchor, or put the anchor in first with gaps underneath and pour the grout to fill the gap? 

Highlighted
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@mh,

Forming up a pad, poring and waiting for the grout to fully cure would the correct method. My concern with pouring the grout underneath the anchor is that you won't be able to tell if there are any air gaps and if the post is fully supported.

Mitchell

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks @MitchellMc .

Sorry for the string of questions... is it OK to drill a hole for the dynabolt right through the grout pad and into the concrete in one go? Without weakening the grout? Or does the dynabolt need to be already in position before the grout goes down?

Highlighted
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@mh,

Strings of questions are perfectly fine. We're here to help.

You can drill through the grout pad once it has fully cured. If the pad is 10mm or less you might have some cracking issues. I don't see any reason why you couldn't pre-drill the concrete and have the Dynoabolt in position prior to pouring the grout. You might want to run a piece of masking tape around the Dynabolt before inserting to stop the grout getting into the threads of the bolt.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects