Workshop
Ask a question

How can I securely mount the screen fence on the deck?

jen5
Finding My Feet

How can I securely mount the screen fence on the deck?

Hi all,

Really just build the screen fence for the first time as the first home improvement project.  The side of the deck is 3.75m (width) * 2.7m (height) with 2 deck posts aside. The deck is about 1 m high above the ground. I decided to build 3 wooden fence panels and then use ropes to combine them together. So panel 1 and 3 will have ropes to bind to the deck posts. and panel 1 and panel 2 will have the ropes to bind together, also the same as panel 2, and three.

Not until I almost finish building the 1st panel do I realize that using rope is completely unrealistic as the panel was too heavy and needs much stronger support to make sure they are sturdy. 

Now my second idea is to buy 4 2.7m wooden posts like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/tasman-kb-90mm-x-90mm-x-2-7m-premium-wrapped-f7-kd-h4-rh-treated-pine_p8.... And somehow find a way to install them on the deck, but currently, I am struggling at finding a stump. Not sure if this one (https://www.bunnings.com.au/steel-deck-stump-pack_p0911001) is enough to support 2.7m deck post. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreaciated. 

I have uploaded the built panel for reference.IMG_0310.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I stable the screen fence on the deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jen5. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

What you have suggested would certainly work and the Tasman KB 90mm x 90mm x 2.7m Premium Wrapped F7 KD H4 RH Treated Pine would be more than adequate to support those panels. That stump pack is a little over-kill for screening, and I'd suggest the Pryda Post Anchor Bolt Down w Washer 90mm M10 would be a much more budget-friendly solution.

You might like to consider a couple of other options that would likely also work. The first being simply running two lengths of Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm across the gap. These would be screwed between the existing posts and positioned at deck level and at the screening panel's top. You can then screw through the screen and into the two rails fixing them in place.

I had a similar situation to yours and decided to use Protector Aluminium 50 x 50 x 1600mm Flanged Fence Post With Cap as the posts. They come with a mounting plate already installed. I have a gate on mine, so I needed at least one post, but then I cheated a little and just used a piece of timber for the other join, which the screening screws into. If you were to screw screen one and three into the post, then the middle sheet could be joined with the timber method I've used. However, I believe running the Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm across the gap would be the best solution.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks, Mitchell. All your suggestions are valuable to me and I will definitely try it this weekend. :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated @jen5 and reach out if you run into any difficulties. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects