Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I attach aluminium fly screen frames to a fence

Effie09
Growing in Experience

How do I attach aluminium fly screen frames to a fence

I have bought the pillar aluminium fly screen frames to build fly screens between a fence and a patio roof.

It is 8m long and 45mm wide but not sure how long they can be before they warp or how to attach them to the top of the fence and the roof.  snap screen systemsnap screen systemarea between fence and roofarea between fence and rooftop of pergola rooftop of pergola rooftop of fencetop of fence

Have I bought the right product as you tube videos show a snap screen system may be easier.

I have attached photos of the area and the other frame from the snap screen youtube video.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I attach aluminium fly screen frames to a fence

Hello @Effie09

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about attaching aluminium fly screen frames to your fence.

The Pillar Primrose Flyscreen Frame is 2.5m long. I recommend cutting it in half so that you will not get any bowing when you assemble the frame. You will need to install Metal Mate 16 x 12 x 1.6mm 3m Aluminium Section Channel on the top area of the roof for the frame to sit in. I recommend using Metal Mate 12 x 12 x 1.4mm 3m Aluminium Equal Angle combined with Rolltrak 11mm Clear Fly Screen Clip Offset - 8 Pack for the fence.

I've placed a diagram below of how you can assemble it. You can also reverse the order and have the Section Channel at the bottom and the Equal Angle at the top. The frame assembly will have to be put together carefully so that there will be minimal gaps between the flyscreen frames. I'm sorry but I'm not too familiar with the snap screen system.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your flyscreens assembled. 

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I attach aluminium fly screen frames to a fence

Hi @Effie09 , I like @EricL ' s approach.

I am a bit confused by the photos though...  it looks like there is an angle between the top of the fence and the roof support, such that the screens will be leaning in. Is that correct,  or just an optical illusion from the photos?

If there is a lean in, then I suggest the following variation on EricL's plans; 

Put the suggested channel section up along the roof support beam, or even go to 16mm wide to allow space for the inserted flyscreen to be able to swing out toward the fence top. You would also likely need to add washers under those clips at the bottom, to build them out a little when you attach them, in order to allow space for the screen frame to lean inwards.

Of course, if the frames actually sit vertically between fence and roof support, ignore all the above.

Effie09
Growing in Experience

fly screens

I have completed my fly screens between the fence and pergola roof and attached photos. 

0D6A1A7A-494D-4B39-927A-7C8E2CB3B828.jpeg

B5E992DC-755F-49C0-98EC-5443BC1664FB.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: fly screens

Hello @Effie09

Thank you so much for the update and photos. What method did you end up using to install your fly screens? I'm sure our members would be keen to find out how you did it.

If you have any other projects we can assist you with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Effie09
Growing in Experience

Re: fly screens

I used the Pillar frames and cut them the length of my posts 2.3m so the joints are behind the posts.  I stuck the 16mm L shaped metal angles on the top and bottom for the screens to lean up against.  I had made the fly screens and then applied liquid nails on fly screens and stuck them against the angles.  There is a bit of space between one of the fly screens and the fence, as the fence is not straight so I filled it in with the same colour silicone (sika roof gutter silicone).

I have used the strong Cyclone aluminium insect screens so hopefully they will last a few years.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects