Workshop
Ask a question

How do I remove tiles on external verandah?

Arch3
Getting Established

How do I remove tiles on external verandah?

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help but all advice greatfully accepted. How do I lift/remove terracotta tiles of what I think is blue board/cement sheeting on an upstairs external small verandah.  Will the timber frame be affected ??

20210128_122433.jpg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do I remove tiles external verandah

Thanks for your post @Arch3 and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. 

@MitchellMc will be able help you with this project when he is back on the site on Friday. In the meantime, let me tag some our very experienced renovators who might like to share their advice with you: @ProjectPete@Brad@JDE@Mathy@PJA .

We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Arch3,

It would be great to hear more about what your project entails and why you need to lift the tiles. We might offer some alternatives. I believe it is more likely that the balcony is some precast concrete structure and not clad in Blueboard. However, if it is, then there is a good chance you will damage the Blueboard whilst removing the tiles. You could either go about it with a hammer and masonry chisel or a rotary hammer drill.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your project and providing assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Arch3
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell I used a hammer drill and successfully lifted tiles without damage 

20210130_150543.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Arch3,

That's very impressive, and I'm surprised you're not left with tile adhesive on the surface. Great job!

What do you plan on covering the surface with now?

Mitchell

Arch3
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

I plan to paint on new waterproofing on what looks like existing waterproofing incase there are cracks. I then plan to refresh with new tiles.

Thoughts??

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Arch3 - well done on getting those tiles up. They obviously weren’t laid very well. No disrespect to you, but they shouldn’t have come off that easy.

Looking at you pictures - are you sure that’s blue board? It seems to be a strange thing to use for a balcony. Anyway, you need to give that surface a good sand and clean before applying anymore products. Then investigate which tile adhesive is suitable for your new tiles - some adhesives are designed to go straight over waterproofing membranes - so make sure you choose one of these.THEN follow the instructions of the manufacturer of your tiling adhesive.

This will be the best way to achieve a good outcome for this project, cheers Deb :smile:

Arch3
Getting Established

Hi Deb.

Yes tiles were very poorly laid  (not by me I might add) both on our concrete slab causing tenting and on this small verandah. Thanks for the tips re preparation and adhesives.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Arch3,

@MitchellMc will be back on the site on Friday to assist you. Let me tag @redracer01 who might like to share his thoughts on your plan in the meantime.

Thanks,

Jason

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Arch3 

Is the blue board secure and not vibrating? If it is it may need to be further secured to the current framing. Looking at your picture it seems like standard cement sheeting. But I could be wrong. I would definitely water proof the top before laying tiles. I would recommend Resaflex tile adhesive. It has the highest amount of polymers and allows for maximum amount of movement. So it should adhere well to the current surface. Please keep us updated as I'm sure other members are keen to see how your project progresses.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects