Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I restore vintage hanging basket stand?

judy63
Finding My Feet

How do I restore vintage hanging basket stand?

Steel vintage hanging plant stand i want to restore  it currently has rust and paint chipped  please give me the steps and what I need to buy. 

20210630_115309.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do I restore vintage hanging basket stand

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @judy63. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring this hanging basket stand.

You'll need to start by sanding the rusted sections with some 120-grit sandpaper. Try to remove as much of the rust as possible, exposing the steel beneath. Next, go over all the painted sections with the sandpaper to scuff them up. You don't need to remove the paint, but you will key the surface ready for primer by doing this. Apply either White Knight 300g White Rust Guard All Purpose Primer or White Knight Rust Guard 300g Light Grey Quick Dry All Purpose Primer Spray Paint depending on the colour of your topcoat. For light colours, use white, and for dark colours, use grey. You'll then be able to apply the topcoat colour of your choice from our Rust Guard spray paint range.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to paint metal.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects