Workshop
Ask a question

Reo mesh panel on fibre cement

Manley
Getting Established

Reo mesh panel on fibre cement

Completed project.Completed project.

am wanting to fix a large panel of 4m x 2m reinforcing mesh to a wall clad in fibre cement to act as a trellis.

I'd like this to be about 100mm off the wall to enable space behind.

Any recommendations on what fixings to use for this?

I have considered fixing timber posts to studs and then attaching reinforcing mesh to those but I'd prefer a minimalist look.

Thanks in advance! See below images for the panel I'm after and the wall I'd like to install it on. 

IMG_20201203_140949.jpg

IMG_20201121_123025.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix reo mesh panel to fibre cement?

Hi @Manley,

Sounds like a great project. Let me tag @ProjectPete to see if he might like to kick off the discussion for you. I'm sure @MitchellMc will also be more than happy to help when he is back on the site tomorrow. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members. We have clever and creative members sharing project inspiration and helpful advice every day. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Manley. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

For a minimalist approach, you could use Zenith 9.5 x 200 x 25mm Zinc Plated Eye Screws. You should be able to open the screw eye just enough to slip the Reo into. You would then fix them into the timber studs. Once installed, lift the mesh up and into the created gaps to hang it in place. If you cannot open the eye, then you could cut a small section out of it to slip the Reo into. Alternatively, there are Everhang 203mm Lag Screws, which would be ready to hang the mesh on. You might like to spray the hooks with Dulux 300g Enamel Rust Effect Duramax Spray Paint to keep the whole look consistent.

Let me mention some of our other helpful members @TedBear, @redracer01, @JDE and @Prawns to see they could contribute to the discussion.

Mitchell

eye.png

Lag Screws with their hook ends sound great to me, Mitchell. I probably wouldn't have thought of that and over- engineered it. Thanks, I'll keep this in mind, as I am hoping to do a similar thing in my own garden.

Manley
Getting Established

Thanks for your detailed reply!

This sounds like the solution I was after, will update with some pics when the rain eases!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Manley,

I can't wait to see your results and please keep us updated.

Mitchell

Manley
Getting Established

Finally found the time to complete this project.

Pretty straightforward in the end once the studs and spacings were sorted.

I opted to spray the lag screws black to match the wall and give the mesh a floating appearance.

Now for the wonga wonga vine

IMG_20210912_123853.jpg

IMG_20210912_123859.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Manley

That mesh panel looks very well mounted. I can't wait to see the Wonga Wonga Vines start its travel up the mesh panel. Once they have established themselves your wall will look fabulous. Was the walkway built before or after you mounted the mesh panel? It looks like you have a very large garden area. Will you be building more garden projects in the future? If you are please don't hesitate to share them. Our members are more than happy to provide you with advice and information should you need it.

Please keep us updated with your progress, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Have a look at these fantastic projects shared by our members. I think any of these creations would be a handy addition to your garden.      

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects