Workshop
Ask a question

Screening for bins

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

Screening for bins

Completed project.Completed project.

Hello all

I am new to this and not much of a handy person. I want to hide the bins in my front yard which are visible to me all day through study desk. I don't need to have the top covered.

As you will see in photo it has greenery behind that and I would need to access it. I am thinking a 'L' shaped screen using aluminium or plastic lattice on wheels, foldable and cut to height of bin so I can still see greenery behind that.

Any ideas from more knowledgeable people will be greatly appreciated and also what will be required for putting wheels with screen.

Thanks in advance.

DSC_0347.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hide bins using aluminum or plastic lattice?

Hello @notshyofeffort

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your desire to hide your bins with lattice.

Using lattice is an excellent idea to disguise your bins. I suggest using the Matrix 2410 x 1205 x 5mm Charcoal Plastic Reeded Diamond Lattice. They are tall enough to go past the height of the bin and wide enough to cover all three bins. I recommend getting two sheets of the Matrix Lattice. Because you will have an abundance of materials, I suggest making a "U" shape to make the cover stable. To join the lattice together, I suggest using Pinnacle 75mm Galvanised Strap Hinge With Brass Pin - 2 Pack for each side. 

Fix the hinges in place using Zenith M6 x 20mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Bolt And Nut. When you've gathered your materials, cut the panel to the size that you need using a saw. Position the hinges on the inside of the panel, drill the mounting holes through the plastic and fix them on using the nut and bolt recommended. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your Matrix Lattice assembled.

Let me tag our experienced member @ProjectPete for his recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric , much appreciated. 

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

I was thinking of Lattice. How do I fix this to ground at-least on one side or is fixing required to ensure it does not blow in wind.

Cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @notshyofeffort,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Just thought I'd point you towards a couple of popular projects that might offer inspiration:

Our Top 10 most popular screening projects should provide further ideas. 

Hope that helps. We're looking forward to seeing the solution you come up with.

Jason

Hi @notshyofeffort,

Great to see that you've already received some fantastic ideas.

Let me tag @diy_hausdesigns and @MGusto to help with your question about securing screening. @EricL will also be happy to help further when he's back on the site on Friday.

You may also want to consider putting a planter box there with a climbing plant on a lattice panel as you'll see in this Backyard privacy screen inspo from @RenoQueen.

Stevie

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

I was able to finish the job over the weekend. I had a pair of bougainvillea which had outgrown the pot, hopefully they will like the new settings. Thank for the help.

DSC_0351[1].JPGDSC_0350[1].JPGDSC_0354[1].JPG

Wonderful @notshyofeffort.

Could you run us through your materials and the steps you took to set this up?

Thanks for sharing,

Stevie

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

I used Screen Panel Matrix 1200x800mm Vines Matrix  * 2 - $49.98 each, advantage I found  was felt lot more sturdy. Used 2* Matrix 20 x 20 x 1000mm Charcoal Fence Extension Leg to hold the side which is fixed firm. 

It does not cover the opening door side 100% but as the area is triangular a bigger  fence might have come in the way of opening. Both were attached with a galvanised strap hinge.

Cheers

ColinL
Growing in Experience

Hi @EricL and Bunnings team,

Happy new year!

I came across this thread looking to do very similar screening to hide the bins and those 3 inspection openings as per picture below. I had a collapsed sewage pipe so the plumber had to excavate and replace the Terracotta pipes with PVC (very expensive exercise).

I can't concrete this section because the pipes needs to be accessible at anytime, so my plan is to lay weedmat and then lay pebbles/gravel on top. Then I'll hide the bins in this same area.

The matrix plastic lattice suggested by Eric sounds like an excellent cost effective idea and I can train bougainvillea or star jasmine onto the lattice, but the question is how do I fix the lattice into the soil directly so it doesn’t tip over assuming the climbers are fully grown and it can get quite windy in my backyard.

At this stage I'm thinking of having one lattice on the left (near the black timber) parallel to the white fence on the right and the bins will sit on top of those inspection openings. I would prefer not to fix the lattice onto the olive fence if possible as I'm trying to train the bougainvillea across that whole fence on an existing trellis.

Secondly, would the plastic lattice be strong enough to support a fully grown climber or should I go with a metal/timber lattice just incase the plastic one may break under pressure?

If you have any better ideas that would be greatly appreciated. I may also look at fixing a door or something against the lattice and the white fence later on, but I'm a total newbie with these things.

Thanks,

Colin 

20220109_152130.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects