Workshop
Ask a question

How to install a Matrix Decor screen to a Colorbond fence?

firenevac
Finding My Feet

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How to install a Matrix Decor Screen to a Colorbond Fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @firenevac. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

The Matrix Decor panels can be screwed directly to the Colorbond fence posts and rails with Buildex 12-14 x 35mm Climaseal Hex Head With Seal Cladding Tek Screws 5 Pack. Depending on the height at which you want to fix the Matrix panel, you might find there is no top rail to screw into and just the Colorbond sheet. If this is the case you can fix strips of timber between the Colorbonds upright posts and then screw the panels to the timber.

Here's a helpful step-by-step instructional video on installing the Matrix frames which I trust you'll find useful.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to install a Matrix Decor Screen to a Colorbond Fence

Hi MitchellMC,

You stated The Matrix Decor panels can be screwed directly to the Colorbond fence posts and rails with Tek screws. I have the assembly screws, which requires you to drill a 12mm hole in the decor panel for expansion & contraction. Do I use these assembly screws instead of using the Tek screws? What I was going to do, was follow the instructional video on installing the Matrix frames, but instead of a wall, installing on colorbond fence. A couple of weeks ago, I found a photo of a back fence of colorbond with one sheet of Matrix Decor Screen attached to the fence, but despite searching the net, I cannot find this photo again.

Could you please advise.

Firenevac

Hi @firenevac,

Just wanted to let you know that @MitchellMc will be back on the site tomorrow to assist you with your fencing project. 

Let me tag a few helpful members who might be able to share their thoughts on next steps with you: 

@Shannon@Brad@ProjectPete@royq , @Nikkaz     

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Please don't hesitate to reach out anytime you need a hand getting the most from the forum.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi @firenevac,

The screws I mentioned, Buildex 12-14 x 35mm Climaseal Hex Head With Seal Cladding Tek Screws 5 Pack, are self-tapping and will drill their own holes. The screws included in the kit are not self-tapping and will require a 4mm pilot hole as per the installation guide.

Bear in mind that if you don't install a mounting rail and instead screw the Matrix screen directly into the fence panel, then the screws will penetrate out the other side of the fence.

Another option to avoid screwing into the fence would be to drive a post on either side of the panel into the ground directly in front of the fence. The Matrix screen can then be screwed to the posts.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

Hi,

I am going through the same situation haha!

What screws would be used if I was to attach timber to the posts?

Thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Simone2. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You can use Zenith Gold Passivated Countersunk Head Metal Screws to attach the timber to your fence posts. Select a length suitable for going through your choice of timber.

To attach the Matrix screen to the timber you can use Otter 12g x 35mm Matt Black Class 3 Hex Head Screws - 90 Pack to suit the black screen.

We look forward to hearing more about your Matrix screen project and would encourage you to let us know if you need assistance or would like to share it with us. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members are contributing their projects here all the time.

Mitchell

firenevac
Finding My Feet

Thank you to MitchellMC, I have installed 3 Matrix Decor Screens to Colorbond fence by scewing  into top & bottom rails of colorbond fence.

Firenevac

Hi @firenevac,

Many thanks for the update.

It's great to hear you've had success with installing your Matrix screens onto a Colorbond fence. You might like to post some images of your screens as I trust it would provide other members with the confidence to give it a go themselves.

Mitchell

Hi i’m looking at doing this now, can you please show images of how to attach the wood frame and you mention you don’t need to drill it to the colorbond but to put it on the vertical railings, i don’t understand where exactly it sits.

Am looking to use the wood herringbone privacy screens onto colorbond fence by creating a timber frame it screws into. thank you. Very much an image person haha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects