Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level the lawn after adding pool?

shazz28
Getting Established

How to level the lawn after adding pool?

61B610F9-C10E-4492-99B2-AD8790EF74A5.jpeg

  

4C775F8A-4767-4F80-8C79-F7A8AC34DAB4.jpeg

88723B2D-399A-4D77-A0B5-3D475671C8EF.jpeg

Hi all,

hope someone can guide me in the right direction for DIY project. I’m open for different ideas to help me with landscaping but I was thinking to bring the lawn up to the height of slab you can see in the pictures on the right with pool equipment. But as you can see the rest of the lawn away from the pool is going to be an issue to raise and will need a retaining wall I guess?

what can I do so I can raise up the lawn next to the pool to match the slab height without raising the height of whole lawn? 
hope this makes sense and like I said I’m open for any different ideas for landscaping as well.

C139D2ED-27B6-49AA-8055-E71B3F4C3D77.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to level the lawn after adding pool?

Hi @shazz28,

How'd you go levelling the other lawn you posted about? 

Have you run a sting line from the lawn you're keeping across to the slab? I'd be interested to see just how much higher the slab is than the lawn, as it looks like the area you want to level might be somewhat sunken at the moment. If you were to raise it, the top of the slab might be very close to the lawn you're keeping. If it is close, you might not even need a retaining wall.

If you can work out the height difference between the lawn you're keeping, and the top of the slab, that would give our members a good idea of what you can do. Do you need it to be right to the top of the slab? Perhaps if you compromised slightly, you could fill and grass over the area. It would be great if you could avoid a retaining wall.

If a retaining wall is your only option, then I trust you'll find this guide useful: How to build a retaining wall.

I'll be looking forward to hearing details on the height difference. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell and unfortunately no we paused to fix the lawn last year as we decided to get a pool in, so better do all at once. 
please see pic below of That’s what you asking? Sorry wha you mean by sting line you mean the level of lawn near the slab may be lower than rest of lawn and therefore I may get away with just bringing the sunken level up? Also I’m not big fan of retaining walls and would like to keep everything simple as you mentioned. Slab is about 11cm above. Thanks again. 

A92F2C41-9AE0-4836-AE2B-EADBCDE03953.jpeg

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@shazz88,

So, if you drew a horizontal line from the top of the slab across to the lawn on the rest of your backyard, what's the height difference? I'm suggesting that if you fill this area to the top of the slab, it might not be any higher than the rest of the yard, and therefore you wouldn't need a retaining wall.

Mitchell

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

Thanks I think you are right… I looked at the old lawn pictures and the wooden pillars on the fence (pic attached) were actually covered under! So if I bring the lawn up to that level it’s only few centimeters below the slab which should be covered by the grass! Thanks a lot Mitchell. My next question would be how do I go about bringing the lawn up? 
once I know the cubic meters area, do I fill all lawn with soil mix 70-30 sand soil or put new turf on the areas severely effected in pics below and fill then rest of lawn with soil mix? And what time of the year would be the best to start the process?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Now would be a good time to start the process @shazz28.

I recommend placing an order for a 75/35 mix of ANL 1m³ NSW Premium Garden Mix - Bulk Bag and ANL 1T NSW River Sand - Bulk Bag. You'll want this mix to fill up to around your finishing height. After it is watered in, it will compress to lower than your required height. You can then top it back up with ANL 1m³ Organic Top Dressing, which is perfect for new grass to establish in.

I'd recommend filling and levelling the whole area to your required height and then laying your new turf. By the time you get the area levelled, it will be starting to warm up, and you'll find our stores stocking turf rolls again.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell, just to clarify -  level up the whole area to desired height as per your recommendations but only put turf on severely effected area near the pool and leave the rest to recover and grow of its own? 
thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The rest of your lawn looks pretty healthy, @shazz28. It's just a little brown from over-wintering. So, I'd suggest laying new lawn between the pool and the slab.

Mitchell

Thanks again and I’ll keep you posted once I start the process! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects