Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate a damaged weathered timber deck?

Abe70
Getting Established

How to renovate a damaged weathered timber deck?

Our 20 year old tongue and groove hardwood (veranda covered) timber deck was/is showing minor signs of rotting on the end grain of the timbers. I have filled and painted 100mm of the end of the boards which seems satisfactory for light rain. Unfortunately the decking has been laid the wrong way with the end grain of the planks exposed to the weather. The timber has shrunk, the previous tight tongue and groove joints have opened up and during windy rainy exposures the rain can wet up to 1 metre of the wood and then drain back into the channels between the planks and deteriorate from behind the  water based filler that I have used. Maybe a deck sand followed by multiple coats of a marine grade epoxy to fill up and seal the gaps between the boards?

Abe70
Getting Established

Re: How to renovate a damaged weathered timber deck?

Thanks guys for your advice, as my ol dad used to say "two heads are better than one. "                                                                                                               Cheers Abe

Re: How to renovate a damaged weathered timber deck?

Absolutely agree @Abe70 

No worries, let us know if you ever need someone to bounce thoughts off again and good luck with your project. 😁

Cheers,
Luke

Post may contain sponsored content

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects