Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore a deck that has seen better days?

RosemaryK
Cultivating a Following

How to restore a deck that has seen better days?

Deck.jpg

Hello I have just painted my garden fence which I'm pretty happy with. Now my deck looks terrible in comparison!  ijust gave it a clean with White Knight to get rid of a lot of the moss. I've never painted or oiled a deck before so have no idea what I need to do. It also got a few splashes of Dulux Domino from the fence painting which I need to cover. There is also a slightly rotten patch where leaves have been sitting. What is the best thing to do with it? Thanks for your help.

Rosemary

RosemaryK
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to restore a deck that has seen better days?

That's looking like what I want - Thank you Mitchell

RosemaryK
Cultivating a Following

Well IMG_6038 (1).jpg

I was so excited about doin this and I pretty disappointed in the result. I used Cabot Deck and Exterior water based stain Chocolate Brown. To me it just looks like paint, not a stain and the colour looks orange not chocolate brown. I've put on two coats - waited two hours in between which is what it says on the tin but the second coat didn't go on very easily. I should have waited longer. I guess the only alternative is to paint over the top. I can't go through the sanding again:(

I'm really sorry that you are disappointed with the results, @RosemaryK. I'll reach out to Cabot's tomorrow to see what options are available coating wise.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
martin1
Growing in Experience

Hi Rosemary

that result looks like jarrah stain over treated pine -it does not look like chocolate brown! No wonder you are underwhelmed with your pumpkin coloured deck after all that work. I think you should take the tin back to bunnings to get the colour checked, it looks to me like it may have been mislabeled.

RosemaryK
Cultivating a Following

Hi Martin

I think it is chocolate brown in the tin.  They mixed it at Bunnings. To make matters worse it got rained on too a few hours after application so its a bit patchy. It also feels very sticky underfoot. I've read on other discussion forums a few comments about this stain looking like paint  too.

I would have painted it if that's what I wanted- then I wouldn't have done all the sanding.    I'm not sure what to do- whether to put another coat on or maybe just get a different paint.

Underwhelmed indeed.

Rosemary

Hi @RosemaryK,

Regarding the painted look, Cabot's Water Based Deck And Exterior Timber Stain includes an acrylic additive alongside the oil, which sits on top of the timber providing long-lasting UV protection. For a semi-transparent look, it's advised that one coat should be applied or for an opaque coating two. I understand that if this opaque look wasn't your expectation, it would come as quite a shock. 

The coating is compatible with most water-based deck paints, so you can paint over it in the colour of your choice. Cabot's Timbercolour Deck & Exterior Paint would be suitable or if you'd like to change brands Dulux Weathershield. Although the current colour is not what you're after, you'll be able to coat over it with a colour that complements your fence. The end result will look fantastic.

I'll reach out via PM to get details of your location. I'd like to find out what we can do at a store level to assist you in completing this project.

Mitchell

RosemaryK
Cultivating a Following

Namadjicoat1.jpg

Hello 

This is coat 1 of Namadji- very happy with it. Thank you to Mitchell for arranging my free samplers and tin of Namdji Dulux Weathershield from Bunnings Balgowlah. Yugen was so helpful and friendly and we got rid of the pumpkin! I used a roller - so quick compared to a brush and less mess than a spray gun.  Thank you for helping me through this process.

Rosemary

That looks sensational, @RosemaryK! Well done, you've really put in the effort, and these are the results. They might not be what we originally intended, but it looks fabulous nonetheless. 

I've passed details of your success and the excellent service you received from Yugen onto the leadership team at Bunnings Balgowlah. I've also made sure Yugen gets a coffee on the house next he's working to say thanks.

I'm so very pleased this has worked out for you and look forward to assisting with your next project.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects