Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to work out levels on low deck?

johnc1
Getting Established

How to work out levels on low deck?

Hi!

I’m thinking of building a wooden deck over this sunken concrete area. But I’m confused with two issues - what ‘level’ to use and if/how I should adjust for the uneven shaped area. See pic below

3BB9B6C0-5067-4522-A555-2F74E4FE6C69.jpeg

Level

I’m confused because to make the deck horizontally level/flat, I would build it roughly along the solid yellow line in the picture. But this would mean the deck would get higher and higher compared to the slope of the concrete wall (by about 15cm by the end of the deck). Which I think would look weird. Alternatively see the dotted yellow line if I followed the slope of the concrete wall. Obviously the deck would not be flat if I followed the dotted line. But this may not be a problem as the deck would rarely be walked upon - this sunken area sits near the front door and hardly ever has anyone walking in it. I’m just hoping to clean it up to make it look nicer.  Any thoughts on what to do?!

Size

The distance from the concrete wall to the house on one side (Distance A in the pic) is about 97cm, while distance B is about 93cm. So the area gets smaller by about 4cm. Would I just line up the decking board to the concrete wall at the front, and then cut the last decking board near house to size? Cut this final board like a wedge? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

Re: How to work out levels on low deck?

@dowd_hardware thanks for your reply. But I’m a bit unsure what you mean by pads? Do you use these for the bearers? 

johnc1
Getting Established

Re: How to work out levels on low deck

@MitchellMc  just thinking more about your idea of using fascia boards. Looking at the rendering, it looks like you run the fascia the on the front and another one on the end (right hand side of pic). 

would you just attach the fascia with screws to the front of the treated pine frame? I was thinking of dynabolting the front of the frame into the concrete wall, but for the frame that sits above the concrete wall height I would have to attach to the ground some how. Unsure what would be best for this? 

Are you suggesting the bearers would be 140x45 with joists 90x45? I was hoping I could get by with 90x45 for the bearers 

Hi @johnc1,

@dowd_hardware is likely referencing something similar to these pedestal feet. They are completely adjustable and are fantastic when working on a sloping foundation. They require a solid base and a paver can be used for this. I've used this method in the article I linked below.

You'd typically run fascia boards on all sides of the deck, even on those abutting the walls; it gives the deck a neat framed finish.

On the front, the fascia is screwed into the timber structure. The pedestal feet @dowd_hardware referenced would be ideal for supporting the frame there.

You have no bearers in this structure as it is a single level. You have the joists and the frame that surround them. The whole frame structure can all be made from 90 x 45mm treated Pine. I recommend the 140mm decking for the fascia as at the higher end, 90mm fascia might not cover the gap at the front. The 140mm fascia can be screwed onto the 90 x 45mm timber. Have a look at this article I put together: How to build a deck. You'll see I have a raised 90 x 45mm structure on pedestal feet. Due to the additional height under the frame, I used 140 x 19mm decking for the fascia to cover the large gap.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dowd_hardware
Growing in Experience

A pad is just what the deck supports (post) go on. Deck can be free standing so they can be on a pad. A pad is just a solid base - use can use timber, bricks, pavers etc

johnc1
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc thank you for your response. I’d never seen those pedestal feet before but they look very easy to use. 

Unsure how many pedestal feet I’d need? The distance from left to right in the photo is roughly 3.8metres. Maybe two at either end and two in the middle? 

Thanks @dowd_hardware . I’m not familiar with all the building terms! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@johnc1,

You need to support 90 x 45 mm timber roughly every 1000mm. So, if you weren't connecting the frame to the house or the concrete slab at the front, you'd have four supports along the front and four at the back of the structure.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects