Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Inspiration for backyard makeover

pepsp
Having an Impact

Inspiration for backyard makeover

Hi all.

I’ve been contemplating a deck and new retaining walls and pergola for some years but have been putting it off. Now I’m keen for some inspiration- 2021 may just be the year!! At around 360sq metres it’s a big backyard and I’m thinking it could be really great. Any thoughts on where to start? 

note there is an existing tiled area and pergola. I’m thinking of a deck at floor level with some steps up to a retaining wall at approximately the 48m contour. 

backyard.png

3189D557-6937-497A-84E7-68E7398DDDF3.jpeg

D5C1A543-E11D-41FB-9B31-5FFA5481C37D.jpeg

0F5C76D9-8140-403D-8C3A-7E77428B78D8.jpeg

BD20E6E7-EB54-412C-9211-556373EBC6D2.jpeg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: inspiration for backyard makeover

Hello @pepsp 

The best thing about the bigger models is you don't have to reload all the time and you get paint consistency through your project. The Wagner 100 is good for small to above average projects. But if your doing your whole fence the house and ceilings you want to be able to load the paint hopper and paint till the projects done.  The Wagner 150 will take a 4 litre can no worries. The Wagner 250 does straight from the can! Your choice which one you want to use for convenience!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi @pepsp 

I think I got a question from you on one of my posts that I have to reply to.

Some comments for here:

• For spray paining, I bought a smallish(?) spray gun (can't remember the brand) from Bunnings & used it to do about 60m of 1800 pine panel fence. Took a few hours--can't remember how many--but doable with either me of the missus doing cutting in on detail & the other doing the spraying. Main problems for me was getting the paint consistency so it didn't clog the gun & having the paint soak into the timber so wet it down before we did each section (2.4m panels). Otherwise, for a one off project, maybe hire a sprayer--I did that for another fence.
  • I'd recommend looking at what you want to achieve: play area for kids? outdoor area for entertaining?, vege garden? plants for you to enjoy looking at... Use those ideas to break the yard into areas, & work out how you want to flow between them. I'm in favour of irregular spaces/boundaries using trees/shrubs to create the outline and nooks. Combination of trees for shade & shrubs for screening--I like a "rainforest" look with lots of greenery so various syzygium for coloured leaves & fruit, waterhousea floribunda for shade, grevillea baileyana--tall with musty perfumed white flowers, cordylines for colour, native gingers for greenery/tropical feel, backhousia citriodora for a lemon scent from the crushed leaves (can be used in cooking), Elaeocarpus eumundii, etc And I don't like a yard with things around the perimeter & a big open space in the middle hence using lots of plants to soften the boudaries & blur any straight (fence) lines--nothing much in nature is straight :-). Also make use of any fall with light terracing e.g. a flat space for kids play area with a step or 2 to get back onto the slope of the land.

Cheers, Peter\

@pepsp Most of the plants I mentioned in my previous post have been used in the makeover I discussed in my Yard reno post This was on red clay (at Caboloture in Qld).

Planting tips (from a DIY gardener):

• dig large holes (e.g. for a 45l container, the hole was approx 400x400x4-500),
  • back fill with "good soil"--I used a home made mix of garden soil, compost, & coarse sand in roughly 70/20/10% proportion.
  • Before planting, fill the hole with water then let it drain to saturate the surrounding soil.
  • before planting out, submerge the plant in water (e.g. in a tub/wheelbarrow/or the hole) for about 5-10 mins to ensure all the soil in the pot is thoroughly wet 
  • Break up the roots of the plant--I usually use an old hand saw to cut off matted roots on the bottom & to square up the side, getting rid of matted roots and stopping the round& round growth. I put 4+ deep vertical cuts (i.e about 1/4-1/2 way back to the trunk of the plant) around the outside of the plant to further break up the roots.
  • When backfilling around the plant, leave a saucer depression approx 25-40mm deep to help trap water & direct it to the roots. Wh I water I just fill the depression once or twice & know that the plant has got plenty of water to the roots.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks @pete_brig @redracer01 for your responses. I think I’ll give the existing paint gun a try and see how it goes. If it’s taking too long I’ll upgrade or hire. Although at $250/day it’s hardly worth hiring unfortunately.

On the subject of paint, I didn’t specifically mention that my fences are metal, and are fairly weathered and have some surface rust. I checked the dulux website and it says Rapid Finish is for timber surfaces. There’s no datasheet but it got me thinking, if I’m spending all of that time painting, am I better to go for a specific metal product like White Knight? They have a quick dry water based product and information specific to weathered metal fences. They also suggest a treatment approach for rust. Is it worth the extra $ for this type of acrylic metal focused product or is it basically the same thing as Weathershield or rapidfinish or similar?

https://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/tips-tricks/refresh-your-fence-with-white-knight-rust-guard/

Well, @pepsp , I have no background in paint products but I'd opt for something intended for metal surfaces & something to deal with rust--if I invest the time to paint the fence, I wouldn't want to be redoing it any sooner than necessary 😀 BTW, I did notice they were metal--my comment about having a timber fence was to give context with the issues I faced but still painting approx 60m with a smallish sprayer. Good luck whatever you decide.

As a follow up- I contacted Dulux regarding Rapid Finish on colorbond, who provided the following advice. Might be useful for anyone else with the same questions.

Hi Catherine, 

Thank you for visiting the Dulux website and for taking the time to contact us.

For your metal fence, I have some advice for a few of the more common types of metal fence.

Wrought Iron

Remove rust with a wire brush either manually or with a power tool attachment. If you are coastal or near an industrial area, wash with sugar soap and rinse well to remove any soluble salts. Paint as soon as it is dry. Two coats of Dulux Precision All Metal Primer followed by either two coats of Dulux Super Enamel or  Dulux Weathershield. Another option is Dulux Metalshield All Surface primer two coats followed by two coats of the Dulux Metalshield Premium topcoat. Following recoat times on the label and allowing 7-10 days for full cure.

Colorbond

Clean with sugar soap and a green scouring pad. Rinse and let dry. If there is bare metal spot prime those areas with Dulux Precision All Metal Primer then apply Dulux Weathershield using 2 coats over the whole surface. Adhesion will develop over the first few days so avoid undue stress to the paint film, allowing 7-10 days for full cure.

Zincalume

Remove any rust with a wire brush either manually or with a power tool. Sugar soap wash with a green scourer, rinse and let dry. Apply one coat of Dulux Precision All Metal Primer and then two coats of Dulux Weathershield. Allow 7-10 days for full cure.

The Dulux Rapid Finish is a product you can use on any of the above metal fences. Just follow the  above priming instructions for the type of fence followed by the  Dulux Rapid Finish. It is not recommended to use the Rapid Finish spray gun for any other paint, it is set up for the Rapid Finish only. 

I hope this helps with your painting decisions for your fence.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pepsp,

It's great to hear that you have clarified that the Dulux Rapid Finish product is suitable for painting metal Colorbond fences. The preparation steps you've mentioned above will certainly ensure the longevity of the coating. Preparation is always the key to a great finish.

We look forward to seeing your results. Please keep us updated on your project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects