Workshop
Ask a question

Installation of side gates

Neo19
Making a Splash

Installation of side gates

Hi everyone,

I have got two gates to install on both sides of the house. Please see photos of the location attached. As I haven't done this before, had a few questions and wondering if someone can throw some light.

Both gates are colorbond 1.8 meter high.

Left side gate is 700 mm wide and has steel posts that are 50x50.

Right side gate is 1620 mm wide and has steel posts are 65 x 65. 

Is this roughly the process?

Fix load-bearing post to brickwall

Attach hinges

Fix gate to hinge

Install flange post on ground with concrete on rhs and dynabolt on LHS

Install locks

What shall I use to secure posts to the external brickwall? I will be hanging gates on to them with two hinges each provided by gate supplier. 

How many screws should I use on the posts to make it secure? RHS will be heavier with 1.8 x 1.620.

Many thanks for reading

IMG_20200812_095520.jpg 

IMG_20200814_125109.jpg

IMG_20200814_125132.jpg

IMG_20200812_095516.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installation of Side Gates

Hi @Neo19,

What you have described would be roughly how you would go about fixing the gates. The post which is getting fixed against the house would be the static point and where you'll start. I would encourage you to set up a mock installation to verify everything fits your space. There will be a small amount of tolerance to the overall width through the positioning of the hinges and the latch mechanism, you might wish to use this to your advantage.

After you have fixed the gate to the hinge I would check the latch mechanisms tolerances to ensure you are Dynabolting and concreting posts in the correct position. 

Let me mention @ProjectPete and @Brad to see if they could add to the conversation. I'd be particularly interested to hear how they would go about fixing the mounting posts to the wall. I would prefer you bolt through the entire thickness of the post, especially on the larger gate side, but this would leave you with an exposed bolt head if using DynaBolt Plus Hex Nut Bolts. You could use Countersunk DynaBolt Plus Masonry Anchors but these have a Phillips screw drive head and I don't believe you will be able to apply the torque needed to fix the posts securely.

To not have an exposed bolt head you would need to drill a hole in the wall of the post large enough to fit a socket drive into and I've included a picture below to illustrate. That would then allow you to fix the Dynabolt on the internal wall.

I'd recommend using 4 bolts to fix the posts to the wall. If fixing through the thickness of the post you could use Ramset 10 x 100mm Dynabolt Plus Hex Nut Bolt for the 50mm post and Ramset 16 x 110mm Dynabolt Plus Hex Nut Bolt for the 65mm post. This will allow roughly 50mm of the bolt to be secured in the wall. If you are to fix on the internal wall as per the image below I would advise Ramset 10 x 50mm Dynabolt Plus Hex Nut Bolts for both posts.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Oversized hole with blanking cap is the way the pro's do it.

Seen crushed posts when people have gone too hard with power driving dyna bolts through both post walls.

Thank you @MitchellMc and @Brad .

Would bolting through the entire post and  bolting through the internal wall alone would differ in terms of the strength of support in case of these posts?

If the support is same, I would go with concealed method.

Would I start with a small hole and use something like this to make hole bigger?

Also wondering if you could advise what's the largest diameter drill bit I could use if I am going with the concealed method?

Hi @MitchellMc My external bricks are not solid, they have 3 holes. Wondering if dynabolt would break this apart? Would something like this work as a safer option? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neo19,

I apologise for not getting back to you sooner.

If the gates are aluminium I believe the concealed bolt method would be more than adequate. If they are heavy steel it would be nice to have both walls of the post captured. Brad mentioned there is certainly a risk of crushing the post and I would be aware of that whilst fixing the posts.

The Craftright 10-30mm Step Drill Bit would be a great option for creating the over-sized hole.

If you were to use Ramset 8 x 100mm Galvanised Ankascrew Masonry Anchor they might be less likely to break the brick apart. I would suggest Ramset 750ml Chemset 101 Masonry Anchoring Adhesive Cartridge be added to the holes with them.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Hi do u sell the blanking caps at your store thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lanceallen5

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about blanking caps.

In order for us to give you a comprehensive recommendation can you please tell us the size of the item you are trying to cap off and what material is it made of? Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the item you're trying to cap off? This will give our members a better idea of what you are working with.

The most common caps available at the store are square rubber, plastic and steel caps. There are also round rubber pipe plugs that range in different diameters. 

We look forward to seeing the photos of your project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects