Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introducing 'Minty' - the latest caravan project

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

Introducing 'Minty' - the latest caravan project

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

Here's the latest caravan renovation - took about 3 months worth of weekends and was great fun to do. Enjoy!

Re: Introducing 'minty' - the latest caravan project

What material are your carvan walls @jjnene? MDF? Plasterboard? 

Schnug
Just Starting Out

Re: Introducing 'Minty' - the latest caravan project

Hi there. Are the tiles on the backsplash real or adhesive?

If adhesive are these available instore please?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Schnug. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on this amazing project.

Let me mention @Peggers to see if he can fill us in on the tiles he used. I know he's a fan of using Bunnings products and the tiles resemble Decor 8 Metro Bevel Brickbond White Gloss Tile 292x286x6.5mm, which are ceramic and available through Special Orders.

We do have a range of peel and stick tiles, but they are in a larger format.

What sort of project are you working on? We'd be keen to hear all about it and encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community just like this project, as our talented members contribute their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Littlemilly
Finding My Feet

Looks great @Peggers @I would love to know how you cleaned those aluminium windows? I have an old Millard that I’m renovating and they are giving me grief. Lots of oxidation and stains.. I may end up painting them. Unless theirs a magic product @Bunnings  Thank you!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Littlemilly, it's great to have you join us. We're looking forward to reading more about your renovation project and all of your other projects and plans. 

Hopefully Rob (@Peggers) will get back to you as soon as possible. Let me also tag another experienced caravan renovator in @twocutekelpies as well as our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc to share their thoughts on how tor restore aluminium windows.  

A few resources that might be helpful include Rob's multi-part guide How to renovate a caravan and this discussion kicked off by @Scott59: Painting aluminium windows

Jason

Thank you, I have looked through all the posts and think I might need to spray paint them, which is not really another job I want to do, but I’m sure they will look much better.

Hi Littlemilly, I know many have had success with using fine steel wool, nylon wheels, buffing wheels and compound and even alfoil and coca cola but my windows were very pitted and I felt no amount of polishing was going to resurrect them so I opted for mechanical clean up, wax and grease remover, etch prime and spray painting with aluminium paint for my 1977 Molly.

BeforeBefore   Josco nylon wheel and Ryobi drillJosco nylon wheel and Ryobi drill 
Completely disassembled, cleaned, etch primed and a few coats of spraypaintCompletely disassembled, cleaned, etch primed and a few coats of spraypaint   AfterAfter

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Thank you! They look amazing. I will have a go cleaning them with a nylon wheel and maybe spray them but I can’t take them apart so I’ll have to try taping them all up. I keep reminding myself once the fly screens are back in and the curtains up nobody will see the insides. I’ve already spent hours trying all of the other things- Coca Cola and al-foil was one. I’m trying to finish the van so we can leave in a month. Thanks again. 

It's great to have you join us @Littlemilly and I'm pleased to see @twocutekelpies has provided some helpful info. 

Would you mind sharing some images of the troublesome areas? I've been doing a ton of aluminium polishing lately and I'd be keen to take a look at what you're trying to restore. The aluminium pieces below are all over 30 years old, were heavily tarnished, scratched, corroded and generally looked horrible. Mainly working with wet'n'dry sandpaper, Autosol 75ml Aluminium Polish and a Josco 100mm Replacement Buff Polishing Kit I've restored them to this point.

I'm looking forward to assisting you further.

Mitchell

IMG_20220325_092208_255.jpgIMG_20220325_091908_895.jpg

Beautiful work Mitchell, can I ask if you coat it with anything to maintain or will that require regular maintenance polishing? 

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects