Workshop
Ask a question

Low-level deck with overhang

archerwinmakes
Having an Impact

Low-level deck with overhang

Great community here. I've been reading a lot about building a low level deck. But still have a few specific questions just to make sure before I buy the materials.

I plan to build a low level decking on top of my concrete floor and will span around 1.8m across the grassy part to the right of the photo.

I plan to use 70x35mm for the joist as it has enough height to just level with the floor of the house after decking is installed.

Questions:

1. for the 1.8m joist that will span the right side, do I need to double up the 70x35mm joist? or single is ok?

2. for the bearer, I'm planning to use 140 x 45 mm how far from the concrete floor can I position it? Can I have just one bearer positioned 1.8m from the concrete floor? or do I need to put 2 bearers 0.9m apart? 

3. Joist spacing should be 450mm? is this the same if I will use pine?

Thank you!

InkedIMG_4035_LI.jpg

Re: Low Level Deck with overhang

hi @MitchellMc ,

a bit of change of plans... I was reading about steal framed decks and would like your advice on the appropriate steel equivalent of a 140x90 bearer?

As mentioned above, part of my deck (around 2m) will be over soil.  I don't want to scrape the top soil to get the 330mm clearance... As of now the clearance is already 100-150mm below the concrete level.

I was thinking a steel bearer will allow me to use a shorter bearer but still has the strength of a 140mm timber.. thanks 

Hello @archerwinmakes

For us to get that information, you will have to create a new framing plan just for that section over the soil. The Steel-Deck Provider will then design and quote a frame for that area. In essence, you will be building a timber frame for the part that is over the concrete area and a steel frame that's over the soil. I suggest drawing a basic plan and bringing it to the Special Orders Desk of your local store and asking them for a quote using the Steel Deck system. Include all the relevant information needed such as height, length, width, and condition of the area. It's recommended that you include a photo so that the engineer designing it will have a better idea of where it's being installed.    

They will then send all the information that you provided to Steel-Deck. Once they finish the design, Steel-Deck will send the quote back to your store and then they will pass the quote back to you. The quote will include the price and information about the steel frame. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your decking build.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

I'm not planning to make the whole frame made of steel. Just the bearer. any recommendation that can replace the 140 x 45 mm bearer?

thanks

You'll likely need to find the information from the steel beam manufacturer @archerwinmakes. Was there a particular product you had seen? We really only deal with Steel-Deck that produces frames and not singular beams.

I'm keen to assist further once we know what product you are thinking of using.

Mitchell

Re: How to build a low-level deck

@MitchellMc For the joist to be installed over concrete (that has some fall) how do you ensure that the joists are level to each other without using a ledger board?

I'm thinking of running a string line that's level and using that as a guide to align the top of the joists.  Is that a good strategy or is there a better way?

The length is 7.2m and i'll be using around 19 joists accross.

IMG_0657.jpg

Re: How to build a low-level deck

Hi @archerwinmakes,

A level string line is likely your best option over 7.2m. For smaller decks, you can place a stick of timber across the joists and use a level on top of it. You should find one of these Craftright Level Line Surface Sets useful.

Mitchell

archerwinmakes
Having an Impact

I forgot to update this post with the finished deck. 

My father & I completed the decking in about 3 weekends.

IMG_2347.jpgIMG_2415.jpgIMG_3067.jpgIMG_2446.jpgIMG_2432.jpgIMG_2350.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Awesome results @archerwinmakes! I trust you're exceptionally happy with the finished project.

Well done and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Yes. Very happy with the results! Thanks for all the help.

Hi @archerwinmakes 

Thank you so much for the photo updates. The deck looks marvellous and the colour you've chosen is just gorgeous, can you please tell us the name of the colour you chose for the decking panel? What did you use for posts in the soil section of your deck? How long did the entire project take?

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful decking project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects