Workshop
Ask a question

Low-level composite deck

oninpena
Having an Impact

Low-level composite deck

deck.pngHi,

I am planning on putting a low level composite deck on my alfresco.  I have attached some photos of the alfresco where I plan to put the decking. 

I plan to build it on top of the concrete and apron, and part of the deck would also be on the soil at the side of the house.  Please see the last photo/drawing of where I plan the deck to be (second to last photo is a render of the alfresco area without deck)

Questions:

1. In the first photo below, there is an opening/pipe/drain on the concrete apron.  Can I build the deck over this?  Is there going to be a problem?

2. On the third photo, you can see the part that has no concrete, what can I put here to support the deck? Can I use pavers and try to level it with the concrete apron?

3. I've read a lot of discussions on raising the joists from the concrete.  The height of the internal floor from the alfresco floor is 140mm.  If I use 90x45 TP + 23mm deck (Ekodeck) that leaves me with 27mm gap.  Can I use angle brackets to raise the joists to ~27mm?

Thanks you in advance to those who will respond!

Alfresco_1.jpgAlfresco_2.jpg

Alfresco_3.jpgTop View.jpgTop View Plan.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low Level Deck Advise and Suggestions Pls

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @oninpena. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your low-level deck.

Yes, you can build your deck over the pipe drain. My number one suggestion is to integrate an access panel on your deck that will allow you to get to the drain in case you need to service it. You can either build a picture frame type system or have it blend seamlessly with your deck with a few discreet cuts that will let you lift a part of your deck panels.

If you use pavers on the soil, I suggest using Builders Edge 25-40mm Minifoot Pedestal Feet. These feet are ideal as you can adjust them to the small changes in the height of your deck. You can also use these pedestals for your entire assembly. However, if you wish to use angle brackets, I recommend Dunnings 40 x 80 x 40 x 5mm M12 Galvanised Angle Bracket

Please make sure to check the drainage in the unconcreted area. Water must not pool in the area and must drain properly away from your deck. I also suggest using weed mat and gravel to help in ventilation and weed control.

It sounds like a fantastic project. Any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the quick response @EricL, these are really helpful! Yes, would definitely use those minifoot pedestals on the unconcreted area and use the angle brackets on the concreted area, thanks for the suggestions.

With regards to the drainage in the unconcreted area, does this mean i just need to make sure that I flatten the soil at a slight angle away from the deck, put the weed mat on, then gravel, then the pavers?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @oninpena,

Adding the weed mat, gravel and pavers under the pedestal feet will assist with drainage. If this area has existing drainage issues and fills with water, you might need to look at adding Vinidex 65mm x 20m Draincoil With Filter Sock to divert the water elsewhere. What @EricL has described should work well, though.

Mitchell

Mossb
Finding My Feet

Re: Low Level Deck Advice and Suggestions Pls

Hi @oninpena , we are looking to do a similar project so read this post and I really like your layout drawings. Can I ask what software/programme you have used? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mossb. It's wonderful to have you join us and great to see you jump straight into the discussion.

Hopefully, @oninpena can let you know what design program they are using.

We'd be keen to hear all about your project and encourage you to start a discussion if you need any assistance or have questions. Make sure to check out our Top 10 most popular deck projects for inspiration, as our members have contributed some amazing ideas.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc !  Good thing it doesn't have any issue with water.  But I'll make sure once I start working on it.

hey @Mossb !  I use this website: https://floorplanner.com/demo.  good luck on your project!

@oninpena legend! Thank you. Good luck with yours too.

@MitchellMc thanks for the warm welcome.

Hey @EricL @MitchellMc ,

I drafted a plan for the substructure below.  Do you think this would work/be strong enough? I just based this off what I have read about low level decking discussions on this site.

The red bits are the joist hangers, blue bits are the angle brackets, and green ones are angle brackets to connect the corners. I also plan to put shims as spacers between the joists that are against the walls.

angle brackets and noggins.jpgsubstructure layout.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects