Workshop
Ask a question

Low-level composite deck

oninpena
Having an Impact

Low-level composite deck

deck.pngHi,

I am planning on putting a low level composite deck on my alfresco.  I have attached some photos of the alfresco where I plan to put the decking. 

I plan to build it on top of the concrete and apron, and part of the deck would also be on the soil at the side of the house.  Please see the last photo/drawing of where I plan the deck to be (second to last photo is a render of the alfresco area without deck)

Questions:

1. In the first photo below, there is an opening/pipe/drain on the concrete apron.  Can I build the deck over this?  Is there going to be a problem?

2. On the third photo, you can see the part that has no concrete, what can I put here to support the deck? Can I use pavers and try to level it with the concrete apron?

3. I've read a lot of discussions on raising the joists from the concrete.  The height of the internal floor from the alfresco floor is 140mm.  If I use 90x45 TP + 23mm deck (Ekodeck) that leaves me with 27mm gap.  Can I use angle brackets to raise the joists to ~27mm?

Thanks you in advance to those who will respond!

Alfresco_1.jpgAlfresco_2.jpg

Alfresco_3.jpgTop View.jpgTop View Plan.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low Level Deck Advice and Suggestions Pls

Hi @oninpena

For the angle brackets, I suggest using Dynabolt's on the cement and Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Bolt And Nut in combination with Hot Dipped Galvanised Washers for the timber. Use your angle bracket as a guide to see which nut and bolt assembly fits. Please make sure to take the thickness of the angle bracket into consideration along with the thickness of the timber when choosing.

I recommend using Pryda 35 x 3.15mm Timber Connector Nails - 1kg for the Pryda joist hanger. These special 35 x 3.15mm nails were developed by Pryda, specifically for fixing of all Pryda bracings and timber connectors. 

In regards to the pedestals, I suggest adding more. Nothing is worse than completing your project and finding out that you have a bouncy deck. Let me tag @MitchellMc in regards to the angle brackets sitting on wedges to make them level.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@oninpena,

You have a couple of 1.5m spans, which would be close to the maximum allowable distance of 90 x 45mm, so consider adding additional supports. You have a single pedestal at the top centre, and it won't support both those lengths on 90 x 45mm. You either need to connect those two lengths by installing small timber sections in between them and screwing them together or adding another pedestal to support the area.

I don't believe there is any need to add a wedge under the angle brackets on the sloped area. Just fix them on the slope, and they'll work just the same as on a flat area, even though they're on a slight angle. I've put a rendering together for you below to illustrate better. 

Mitchell

Decksup.pngang1.pngang2.png

Thanks again for the responses @EricL and @MitchellMc , really helpful!  I'm hoping to start within the next few days.

Aurel
Getting Established

Very exciting project @oninpena . Can I ask what you used to draw the plans?  I am starting planning for my deck and would be great to be able to draw plans like that. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Aurel

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining the converstation.

I believe @oninpena referred to this link - https://floorplanner.com/demo. Are you planning a low-level deck? If you have any questions about your plan or project, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

thanks @Aurel ! yes, @EricL is correct, I used floorplanner.com.  It's not the best, but it was enough for me.

You can also try using https://www.blocklayer.com for calculating joists and deck boards.  good luck on your project!

Aurel
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL  and @oninpena . I will check the 2 platform out. I have been able to gather a lot of information from this thread and other conversations so I will give it a go and let you know how where is get to.

hi @MitchellMc .  i'm finally able to start on this project.  got another question. because of the slope of the concrete, there is now a clearance of about 7.5cm from timber to concrete.  Can I still use a longer angle bracket to support the timber in this case?  Do you recommend a screw or nut/bolt to fix the angle bracket to the timber?

IMG_20211129_105508.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could use larger brackets, or you might like to swap to Builders Edge 70 - 170mm Bigfoot Xl Pedestal Feet as it's starting to get relatively high @oninpena. At that height, you're likely best to use bolts to attach the brackets to the timber.

It's great to hear that you're making progress. Let us know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects