Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Merbau decking over concrete slab

Neo19
Making a Splash

Merbau decking over concrete slab

IMG_20191207_141119.jpg

Hi Everyone 

I have been going through these discussion boards for a while and finally mustered to courage to post a question here :smile:

This would be my first deck. Have done some landscaping for myself in the past including a raised garden bed, however nothing major. As far as tools, I've a drill kit including hammer drill, a cordked circular saw and a random orbital sander. 

My proposed deck would be 350 x 370 with height from the slab between 17 - 18 cm so it stays flush with the brick and same level as my internal floor. 

I've been advised that i could use H3 structural timber (140 x 45) as joists and lay decking boards on top that. 

My questions, 

1. How do I attach joists to the concrete? Use galvanized angle brackets like this?

2. How can I adjust the height so the finished decking board stays flush? If i used 140 board + .5 bracket + 19 mm board = it would be around 165 cm height. Which is around 1.5 cm lower than bricks. Can I use plastic wedges / window packers to compensate for around 1.5 to 2 cm? 

3. This deck would be under alfresco cover and under eaves. In terms for water drainage, what would be helpful. Would the packers / wedges mentioned in Q. 2 help with the same?   

IMG_20190916_143835.jpgAlfrescoAlfrescoRough plan showing pillarRough plan showing pillar

On the last image, pillar is on the corner of the alfresco slab and the decking to the south of it would be on top of soil (this would 370 x 45 cm). Not much height difference from alfresco slab. What do I need to provide here under joist for support? Not enough height for a stirrup. 

Thank you very much for reading through. 

Nathan88
Getting Established

Re: Merbau Decking over concrete slab

Hi @Neo19  thank you for showing this inspiring work. Can I have details of your frame system like spacing of joists, spacing of bracket, bracket type, bolt size to connect bracket to timber? Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Merbau decking over concrete slab

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Nathan88. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for jumping straight into the conversation.

I'm sure @Neo19 appreciates your kind feedback and hopefully, they might be able to answer some of your questions.

If you were interested in starting your own discussion, I would be more than happy to provide you with a joists and bearers layout for your own deck and also advise on the fixings you'll need. If you do start your own discussion please include as much information as possible including images of the area, overall height of the deck, the surface the deck will be built on and a diagram which shows the size of the deck.

We look forward to hearing more about your own decking project and can't wait to assist you in getting started.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Nathan88  Thank you for your kind words!

I have kept joists at a maximum of 450 mm intervals. I said maximum as due to the length of the deck it was impossible to have all spaced exactly the same. 

Joists were 3500 long and I have used 4 brackets per joists. 

Bracket type that I have used was this 

Still have some bolts left from the job. 

See below

IMG_20200823_084218.jpg

All the best with your deck!

babakr
Getting Established

Hi All,

Do I really need to put oil on both sides of all boards before fixing them to the joists as I read in many places? This would be hell lot of work.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @babakr,

I think you'll find not many people will pre-oil the underside of their decking boards before installing them. It will, however, extend the life of the deck, help prevent cupping and assist in keeping the moisture content of the boards stable. When coating a deck you want to liberally apply the oil so it soaks into the boards as the initial coat to the under-side won't last forever. 

It seems like an added task, but considering it might help prevent additional work down the road it could be worth the effort.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

babakr
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks for your advice and I have decided not to do that as it takes lot of time and my deck is under a roof so is less exposed. Just another question for you. I wonder what preserver/sealer I should use to apply at the end of sawn treated pine frames as well as butt joints of decking boards. I searched Bunnings and there was only in ground wood sealer  which looks black and ugly for end of decking boards and in the stain/oil area I didn't find anything specifically mentioned suitable for this sort of application (or may be all suitable?). Thanks for your reply.

Suesnews
Getting Established

have you thought about using a material that's not a Rainforest timber?? Bunnings really shouldn't be stocking this stuff

Hi, we have merbau landscape installed on the front of my house 2 months back. We have coated Cabot's natural deck oil. However we are  not satisfied with the result. Could you please suggest a product for glossy or shiny finish for my merbau landscape and steps to do it? We get 6 hrs sunlight on front yard

Thanks

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

"I wonder what preserver/sealer I should use to apply at the end of sawn treated pine frames as well as butt joints of decking boards."

https://www.bunnings.com.au/twa-woodcare-300g-ecoseal-tanalised-timber-treatment_p0960107 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Suesnews.

Over the past decade, Bunnings has led the market by ensuring illegally logged timber is not for sale in our stores. We are dedicated to ensuring that the wood and the wood products we sell are sourced from legal and well-managed forest operations. It has been clear to us for some time that most Australians don’t want illegally logged timber in their homes and backyards. As part of our trading conditions with timber suppliers, Bunnings conducts annual supply chain surveys and pre-purchase assessments to ensure that the wood products supplied are from traceable, legal and responsibly sourced origins. We are confident that more than 99 per cent of our timber products are from low-risk plantations or other independently verified legal or certified sustainable forests. We continue to work closely with our suppliers and non-government organisations to ensure that customers can be confident that Bunnings timber products are legally sourced and are progressing towards the ultimate goal of achieving a certified sustainable status. 

Great to see you have also posted about your extension project – I will be able to assist you with that shortly.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects