Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Merbau planter boxes and vertical vegie garden

BrendanB
Building a Reputation

Merbau planter boxes and vertical vegie garden

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-31 at 8.25.14 AM.jpegplanter box 2 (2).jpgplanter box.jpgWhatsApp Image 2020-02-23 at 12.49.41 PM.jpeg

pjturner2008
Cultivating a Following

Re: Merbau planter boxes and vertical vegie garden

I really like this set up. One question. Is there enough soil in the hanging pots to support a wide range of veggies?

Hi @pjturner2008,

Hopefully, @BrendanB can fill us in on the answer. In such a small container you'll want to use the best potting mix you can afford. I would suggest something along the lines of Scotts Osmocote 25L Premium Plus Superior Potting Mix. Herbs generally don't require a large container to grow in, so they are perfect for these vertical gardens.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BrendanB
Building a Reputation

Yea they are not big enough for root vegetables, although we managed to get baby beetroot and mini red onions. But spring onions and chilli's didn't have a problem. 

mann
Getting Established

These planters look really good..I want to make these ones but have no experience.. can someone help with the material that I should buy in order to make it 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mann

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building your own raised garden bed.

It's great that this project has inspired you to make your own raised veggie garden. A lot of our members have built various sized garden beds, it all depends on how big you want it to be. I suggest reading this guide - How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W. This will give you a basic idea of how raised garden beds are assembled. 

Once you've decided on the size you want, I suggest drawing a plan with pen and paper. This will help you to quantify the amount of wood and screws you will need to assemble your raised garden bed. This will also give you the opportunity to make sure that your raised garden bed will fit in the proposed location. 

Building the raised garden bed does not require exotic tools. A circular saw would be handy but a hand saw will suffice, a drill, drill bits, and tape measure will be enough to allow you to put the raised garden bed together. 

You'll notice in the previous post my colleague @MitchellMc posted an image of a proposed raised garden bed assembly. I suggest having a look at that drawing if you're looking for ideas and inspiration.

Here are some raised garden projects our Workshop members have shared:

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your raised garden bed project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

KelTron
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMc mate I wish you worked at my Bunnings..! that mock up you did was awesome..is there a place on here we can post tragic front gardens like mine and get some advice or tips on what to do?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KelTron. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Just start a discussion on the garden board, and I trust our helpful members will have plenty of advice and tips for you. Remember to include as much information as possible on what you'd like to achieve with the space, as that will help us provide some great solutions. Adding inspiration pictures is also a fabulous way of conveying what you'd like the area to look like.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Carmenp
Just Starting Out

They look terrific, Love the planters on the fence too.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Carmenp

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @BrendanB to make them aware of your kind words. Has this project given you ideas? Has it inspired you to make plans of your own? If you decide to give this project a go, any updates you can provide would be highly appreciated.

If you have any questions regarding this project, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Wow ! Just WOW !!!!! Love it @BrendanB 

have you got a photo of your planter boxes planted up ? 😃

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects