Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New Ekodeck decking project

Trying
Making a Splash

New Ekodeck decking project

TryingDeck.JPG

Hi people,

I'm about to build a new deck approx. 5 mts x 2.5 mts attached to my "she-shed".

I'm loving the idea of low maintenance 10 yr warranty product called 'ekodeck'.

I used to be a diehard timber girl but I'm asking if anyone has used this product as I'd like to get some feedback before I choose materials.

With thanks.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Re : Deck me please

@Henno Being in Perth I am more concerned with the UV index and skin protection therefore for me  retractable roofs & screens are a great idea we love the indoor/outdoor feel, other advantages are
1. offer privacy when required
2. protective screening from winds and sea breezes
3. Security

4. Heat displacement

5. Lower energy costs

6. Contaminant particle screening ie mineral sands
etc,etc
LOL..IMO there are literally thousands of home indoor/outdoor entertainment areas along the coast here that could do with a re-design aesthetically, healthwise and structurally.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Warning:  Be prepared to be hit by a truck, of semi serious humour (get it?):

@BIM_Engineer, the whole concept of the indoor/outdoor lifestyle is lost on me, & maaaate, you stress too much.

If I want to step outside & find that it's stinking hot, I either step back inside for the comforts of our private, insulated, solar powered air-coned home, or go for a swim.

If I haaaaave to go outside & face the blazing sun, I put a hat on (not a good look, picture Aussie hillbilly with straw in mouth).

If it's windyish outside, I stay inside, or my hat blows off.

Hot Northerly winds here in SA aren't comfortable, kinda like a mega-sized heat gun, & even I am not stupid enough to face that (again). :embarassed: :wink:

And finally, we don't have hour glass figures, live by the sea, or watch "Days of our Lives", so the sand contaminent particulates aren't an issue for us.

I'm not going to sit on the fence (Henno made me do it), but I'm not a fan of climate controlled heating or cooling (other than ceiling fans), for outdoor entertainment areas that have cafe blinds, & zero insulation.

Next thing you'll want is a fly-free Australia, & there'll go our famous Aussie salute, along with cork dangle hats & genuine body odour that men worked all day for, & were proud to share it.

Henno
Having an Impact

Bad news guys. Seems that Millboard doesn't have the BAL rating I need to complete my project! Soooo, I'm now on the hunt for a new type of decking. Pain in the @r*e!
No character-laden decking out there that matches Millboard. It also has to have a BAL rating!
Anyone have an idea for me? I'm looking for something in a light grey colour and I'm open to any ideas.
BAL rating must be 12.5 or above and hopefully the supplier is in NSW.
My builder is looking for an answer in a few weeks and I'm running out of ideas...
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Henno, here's a clear coat for timber, could that be suitable for composites?

Timber Defence

Thanks Andy. I'll look into it, but really, isn't it defeating the whole purpose of buying composite decking?
This BAL12.5 rating is about equivalent to dropping a bumper on the floor and putting it out with your shoe.
And I don't even smoke! I'll keep "Googling" (is that really a word?) and hopefully come across something down the track.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Henno, it's an unknown whether it will work with composites, but being a semi-matt clear coat (I had to dig deep to find that much out), I figured it might be worth a look. Perhaps contact one of the suppliers, & put the question to 'em.

I completely understand your frustration, some regulations seem determined to cover low IQ knuckleheads, & everyone has to comply with the idiocity. It's like road authorities installing speed bumps in a street, because of occasional petrolheads breaking the law. Yep, good problem solving making locals suffer those things every day, & the peanut then finding another route nearby to carry on with his dangerous antics. :frustrated:

the lower denominator ood luck mate

Roll on Summer. The new deck is done -complete with roof, fridge,furniture,dry creekbed and garden. The party starts tomorrow with Christmas drinks. Today I cleaned the deck to be ready for tomorrow. It was dusty,had workboot footprints (from the sparkies I think) loads of birdpoo plus bark and leaves from surrounding trees. This was the first proper clean I have done. Soft broom sweep, warm water on sponge for birdpoo, then squeezemop with warm water over all the deck. No oil,cleaning products,etc.,.ECODECK  is wonderful ! Came up looking brand new,no marks or stains anywhere. I love this product ! Photos to come. I'm waiting for the true test tomorrow when the hungry hordes arrive to gallop all over it. Merry Christmas Workshoppers.

The update on "Deck Me Please"

Hi again all workshoppers. A quick up- date on my Ekodeck. It's been in use for over 12 months now and has seen the usual wear and tear of happy people in summer by the river. And, of course, food and alcohol !  But I couldn't be happier. I cleared and swept the deck before using  warm water and small amount of dishwash liquid to wash away all marks and bird poo. A stiff brush removed stubborn spots then I rinsed with clean water and dried with a squeeze mop. I have done this three times in the year, each time takes about 1 hour.  The deck surface is 2.5 x 5.4 metres and I also sweep it  when necessary. Apart from a small paint splash ( by the contractor ) the deck still looks new and I just love it ! No scraping, no scrubbing and no re-surfacing with stain. Just sit back and enjoy !

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: The update on "Deck Me Please"

Thanks for the update @Trying. Great to get long term feedback like this, I’m sure community members appreciate it.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: The update on "Deck Me Please"

By the way @Trying, do you have any photos of the deck that you could share? It would be great to see it.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects