Workshop
Ask a question

Painting Matrix fence extensions

dhibbs
Just Starting Out

Painting Matrix fence extensions

Can you paint the matrix fence extensions to Match the colour of your colorbond fence? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Matrix fence extensions

Hi @dhibbs,

Welcome to the Workshop community, we're pleased to have you join us. 

Let me tag the ever-helpful @MitchellMc who should be able to assist you with your painting question. In the meantime, you might be interested in seeing some of our most popular fence projects on the site.  

We trust that you'll get loads of helpful information and inspiration from our amazing community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dhibbs
Just Starting Out

Thank you Jason 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @dhibbs. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to answer it for you.

If you have existing Matrix fence extensions you can change the colour by using British Paints Spray Easy, which comes in a variety of colours. The longevity of the paint is not guaranteed by the manufacturer, however through testing it has given the best results. Make sure to clean all surfaces thoroughly and let them dry before applying paint.

The panel surrounds and fixings colour may also be changed. It is best to use a Dulux Metalshield, which is self-priming paint and suitable for pre-painted surfaces.

Alternatively, if you are looking at purchasing Matrix screening, the lattice variant is available in many Colourbond colours. 

matrix colours.png

Other styles of Matrix screens come in a few select Colourbond colours. Information on the full list of styles and colours are available through our Special Orders service.

If you would like any further information or assistance, please let me know. 

Mitchell

7B1867A0-5804-454E-852F-814B5138525E.png

Hi MitchellMC,

I am interested in ordering 22m length of Matrix Decorative Fence Panels, manufactured by Design Flow company.

However, they come only in different grey colors, and i need white ones only.

Can you raise a special order for us in white color?

If yes, what would be the price for each panel? 

If not, can we follow your previous advice given above for the Matrix extensions?

TIA.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MirjanaL. It's tremendous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on Matrix panels.

I've checked with the supplier Design Flow, and white is not a colour that is offered. As per my previous recommendation, if you want to paint them, the British Paints Spray Easy has produced the best results. You might also like to consider the Dulux 325g Duramax Plastic Primer Spray Paint before the topcoat. Once again, the manufacturer of the panels can not guarantee the longevity of the paints coating.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell , I need help badly .  I have just put up the matrix rainforest screens to my back fence for privacy .  The neighbor is not happy and wants her side painted in Colorbond Riversand to match her fence.  
Can you suggest how I can paint her side without flowing through into my lovely charcoal side .  I was hoping to use can  spray paint already available in Riversand. 
what could I put on my side to prevent leakage coming through onto the charcoal . 
What paint would you suggest if canned spray paint not suitable .  
Thank you so much 

Tracey 

49188425-F4B0-4A01-88A4-2055DE582618.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Tracey28

My colleague @MitchellMc will be back on Friday. For the moment let me try to give you some ideas. In order to seal one side of the Matrix Panel, I suggest using Bear 48mm x 50m Interior Decorator Masking Tape to cover the cut-outs on one side. You have to make sure that the tape is firmly attached to the sides of the cut-out so that no paint will bleed onto the finished charcoal side. To make it easier to paint, I suggest taking down the Matrix panels to avoid the paint from dripping down the body of the panel.

Here are my recommended steps to paint the panel.

• Put the Matrix panel on a flat surface. Using the masking tape, cover the cut-outs and firmly press with your fingers to make sure that the tape is securely attached to the edge of the cut-outs. Place masking tape on the outer edge of the panel including the sides so that it's protected from overspray. Cover only up to where you intend to paint.
  • I recommend using Dulux 325g Duramax Plastic Primer Spray Paint. I suggest spraying a light coat first to avoid puddling. Apply the second coat when the first coat is dry. This will take time, but it will prevent the primer from gathering in corners and dripping down the cut-outs. A drawback of this method is that the interior of the cut-out will be sprayed in a light colour.
  • Allow the paint to dry before putting on a second coat. Once the paint is dry to the touch, remove the masking tape. Observe if any of the paint went past the masking tape. Use a scraper to remove the paint.

Please note that my colleague @MitchellMc has mentioned that the manufacturer of the panels can't guarantee the longevity of the paint coating. Painting the Matrix panel in its current position isn't ideal and will produce errors that might ruin the panel. It would be safer and easier to manage if the panel is down and within easy reach. It's not the easiest solution, but it gives you a higher degree of success rather painting it standing up.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric , 
Thank you so much for getting back to me so soon . 
I appreciate all your advice, it’s a lot of work .  Wow!  Now I’m hoping to maybe see if my neighbour may be happy if I paint her side charcoal to match the screen  instead, 
 fingers crossed. 
Cheers 
Tracey 
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Tracey28

That is a much better idea! I suggest an offering of cheesecake before making the proposal. Painting your neighbor's fence in Charcoal would speed up the process. I'm wishing you good luck and hope they are open to the idea.

Please keep us updated with your progress, I hope you and your neighbor agree on the Charcoal colour.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects