Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Planning and building a deck for alfresco

shawnvaz
Getting Established

Planning and building a deck for alfresco

Hi Team,

I am in the process of building a deck in my alfresco. 

i would like to clarify, is it ok for me to build it this way?

the spacing in the picture is not correct. i was thinking 400 MM between each wood and then the deck boards go on top of it?

will this work? or should the base frame be above the ground? I.e not touching the floor?

shawnvaz_0-1636269694220.png

Thanks a lot

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: planning and building a deck

Hi @shawnvaz,

90 x 35mm is OK if you've already purchased it. You don't need to have two Dynabolts; one should be sufficient. You can use Ankascrews instead of Dynabolts, but both shouldn't be placed within 100mm of the edge of the slab. Dynabolts will only crack a slab towards the edge if they are placed too close. They will be acceptable to use everywhere else.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc @EricL 

Thanks for the support.

I have laid out the frame. have not screwed it in as yet

just wanted to check. will this work?

shawnvaz_0-1637320465385.png\

im doing a picture frame, so i have left around 25mm from the wall so the deck board can overhang. is this ok?

shawnvaz_1-1637320487179.png

the height difference is 20 mm.

could you please tell me what spacers i need to use and also which bracket will suite?

shawnvaz_2-1637320585993.png

the side that falls away form the home is at a height difference of 70mm+20mm. so a total of 90mm

shawnvaz_3-1637320626888.png

Also the side which i have placed the wood frame-spacer-spacer and frame, which piece should i support with the bracket? should i support both pieces or just the one?

what screws can i use for the 90*35 frame to build it together?

on the top end. i might not be able to use screws to attach the frame, what is my alternative?

Thanks
Shawn 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @shawnvaz,

The layout you have looks like it will work. Can I ask why you're changing the spacing as you move along the deck? You usually keep a consistent 450mm or equally divisible spacing across the whole deck. Having unequally spaced lines of screws would look a bit odd.

A 25mm overhang of that last board is acceptable. You don't need a spacer to accommodate for the 20mm height difference. You simply fit the brackets to the timber at the correct height as per my previous images. A larger bracket can be used on the section on the side that falls away.

If all the frame timbers are connected together, you can support either of them with a bracket or both of them if you wish. 

Zenith 14G x 100mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws would be suitable for joining your frame together. If you can't screw them together, Pryda Joist Hanger Suits 35 x 90mm could assist.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

Thanks

Regarding the spacing, i am yet to set it. this is just a trial to see how it will look.

i will be placing it at 450mm apart. also for screws, im planning to use the https://www.bunnings.com.au/ekodeck-100m-pack-quickfix-concealed-kit-to-suit-timber-joists_p0089490

What do I use for the bracket to the frame?

Does it have to be cup head bolt or hex type?

of cup head, do the head side go onto the timber?

THanks
Shawn

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@shawnvaz,

The Ekodeck 100m Pack Quickfix Concealed Kit is a fantastic seamless solution and allows you more flexibility as to where you position your joists. Just don't space the joists much further apart than 550-600mm as you start to end up with spongey deck boards.

I believe @EricL recommended a "Bolt and Nut Galvanized in conjunction with Washer Galvanized", and I'd concur. The Zenith M6 x 50mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Cup Head Bolts And Nuts would be suitable for your 35mm thick timber. Either cup head or hex head would be fine. The cup head bolt has a square section under it that will bite into the timber and stop it spinning when you do the nut up on the bracket side, so the head side goes onto the timber.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

The bracket i am using is M12.

is it ok to use M6 bolt and nut to secure the timber to the bracket?

regarding bolting the bracket to the concrete. do I have to use M12 size or can it be an M10 or smaller instead?

Thanks

Shawn 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Planning and building a deck for alfresco

Hi @shawnvaz,

My mistake. It looks like I've provided the incorrect link above. The Zenith M12 x 50mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Bolts And Nuts would suit a bracket with M12 holes. You could drop it down to a Zenith M10 x 50mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Bolts And Nuts, but I wouldn't suggest less than that. 

For bolting the bracket to the concrete, I'd recommend the Ramset 12 x 70mm Galvanised DynaBolt Plus Hex Nut Bolt. Once again, you could drop that down to a Ramset 10 x 75mm Galvanised DynaBolt Hex Nut Bolt, but I wouldn't go any less than that.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

im having some trouble with the framing.

im planning for a picture frame. the deck is around 132. 

if i go for a picture frame, the deck board should overhand to around 25mm so i can install the facia board. 

in this case, how do i prepare my frame in the corners so i can support the picture frame and also have it screwed in properlly.

thanks

shawn 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @shawnvaz

If you're thinking about how the picture frame is attached to your frame, I suggest having a look at the Ekodeck How-to-videos. There you'll see how the leading edge of your deck and fascia are mounted onto your frame. To get that clean look, the panels are attached using angle brackets in combination with the Ekodeck Quickfix System

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects