Workshop
Ask a question

Three-tier deck and pergola

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Three-tier deck and pergola

StevieB_0-1640732197211.jpegHey all,

I'm busy planning my deck and pergola. This is what I'm thinking at the moment.

I thought the 3 layer deck would be nice (total deck length is 9m, pergola length is 6m, highest deck is 35cm above ground). 

I was thinking of using the lowest deck to put a lounger couch on, but not sure it takes up too much space. Also, not sure the planter box along that deck makes sense either? It's around 45-50cm wide.

In the designs, I've staggered down the planter boxes. The deck is 3m wide at the top, and 3.15m wide in the lower part (from house brick to planters).

The part without deck goes off into our garden.

Fence is colourbond 2m above ground (so 1.7m above the higher deck).

I also have no idea where to put the BBQ or if I should build in a BBQ area, or simply use a portable to make the space bigger.

(I can add some screens without plants if that helps).

Here's some designs

Would love your thoughts.

Regards

Itai

Itai_0-1615074336346.png

Itai_1-1615074364090.png

Itai_2-1615074380456.png

Itai_3-1615074395599.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Planning outdoor area - Ideas

That design is looking great @Itai

I like the planters as you have them now, and some decorative wall art behind them would add interest to the Colorbond fence. Is the pergola going to be covered with sheeting? If so, I would encourage you to try working in a bbq area under it. There's nothing worse than cooking a BBQ in the blistering summer heat or having a thunderstorm roll through and ruin everything.

Perhaps you might like to include some images of the space at the moment. That will give our members a better idea of what you are working with and hopefully allow them to offer some design solutions.

I look forward to following this build as it looks like it's going to be spectacular.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Yes, I will be covering it. I'm looking at something like this to cover with: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ez-glaze-3-0-x-1-2m-x-3mm-grey-polycarbonate-roofing_p0117234 ... So the space feels nice and open!

And yes, I totally agree, I should put the bbq under the cover. But I'm not sure where is the best fit. The large window there, I am planning to put a nice piece of timber panel there to create a bit of a breakfast bar / serving window. Also, it wouldn't be a great place for a BBQ considering the smoke going into the house. I feel like the best place might be by the start of the deck, near the door, perpendicular to the planter, with some nice screening. But that means you see the side of it from inside the house. I could potentially put it against the planter boxes on the corner where the deck steps down towards the couch, but then what about the planter boxes, they'd be hard to reach, and look a bit weird behind the bbq. I thought about putting the BBQ there instead of the planters, but then you're not under cover anymore. See the conundrum! 

I could make my life simple, and just get a portable BBQ on wheels ... no one says it needs to be built in :smile:

Also side note, I'm not intending to put guttering. Instead, I'm imagining the run off to go straight into the planter boxes which has no bottom and seems into the soil. Hoping this would save some watering. Thoughts?

Here's a photo of where the deck will go. (The fence has already been replaced with colourbond)

Itai_0-1615186220927.png

From the opposite side:

Itai_1-1615186249298.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Itai,

If that is a shed at one end of the deck, I think it would be the perfect place for the BBQ. I'd recommend screening off the edge of the deck with a few SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Merbau Slat Screen Panels as that would obscure the view of the shed and provide a backdrop for the BBQ. You could then place a bbq there, and perhaps you might like to leave off the left-hand wing of it. You could then screen off the lower section of the BBQ from view as you walk out the door. This would be a simple way to get a built-in bbq look without building a structure for it.

Let me mention @redracer01, as he might have some great suggestions.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc That's a good idea. I was planning to screen it with something like that premade screening panel, and then fit a hinge to one of the panels to create a swing gate from behind, so that it doesn't look like a gate from the front. Great idea about making a screen to cover the BBQ though, could become a bit of a feature.

I'm also thinking, behind the couch, to put the same screening there again, or to maybe just use merbau screening to build a custom one and get rid of the planters, to then widen that bit of deck around another 250mm which would be welcome space. I'm thinking top make a built in staggered water fall feature ... any ideas as to how to build one, or links to any workshop projects? Effectively I want to run the water along the length of the screening having it fall to the next level every now and again, before going off the end of the screen into a pond or feature of some sort. Not sure what to build this out of ... perhaps some would covered in plastic, or FC sheeting with waterproofing on it? This might also be too complex to create, I have no clue about pumps, etc, lol.

Thanks

Itai

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I've used that screening for a similar situation @Itai. A pool fence post was used to mount the gate onto, though this is really just a temporary setup. The gate section is another panel on hinges.

You might like to provide a sketch of your waterfall feature, and then I'll be able to provide some construction options. I believe it sounds very possible, and the pump is likely the easiest part to sort out. Using FC sheeting sounds like a good option.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc That looks quite good and is exactly what I was thinking. Good idea for the pool fence post ... I don't see why it couldn't be permanent though?

What is that piece of timber screwed in doing? Is that just a stop?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It could be a permanent solution @Itai. By temporary setup, I'm referring to the fact that I live in a rental home, so I didn't want to put too many holes in the concrete. I've used the timber piece to join two panels together instead of installing a second post. I needed at least one post to hang the gate off. If it were my home, I would likely create a frame out of 90 x 45 outdoor framing timber. However, the post has held up considerably well, considering the gate panel hanging off it is reasonably heavy.

Mitchell

Understood, thanks for that advice :smile:

Hey @MitchellMc 

What timber would you use for the rafters and roof beam?

I was at Bunnings today looking at the outdoor structural framing timber, but noticed it all seems to have the grooves in them.

However, I'm hoping for something a bit more dressed as I'd like to either paint it, or maybe even stain it with a Merbau stain. I'm planning to use Merbau laminated 90x90 posts for the 3 supports (Do you reckon these are strong enough)?

Also, for attached the decking timber to the concrete, do you have any particular angle brackets you recommend? I think the timber will be around 2cm off the ground, though I obviously need to level it so it might be higher even. My only concern is the location of the bottom bolt hole on most of the brackets might not be high enough to meet the timber at least 20mm in (or at all), especially if I have to raise the timber to get it level. Or do you have any other suggestions as to how I do this? I assume I should be putting 2 x M10 bolts through each bracket.

Thanks

Itai

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects