Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Poolside timber cabana build

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Poolside timber cabana build

IMG-20210119-WA0022.jpg#Wifey set me the challenge of building a cabana by our pool area to make better use of some somewhat wasted space and of course create a beautiful, relaxing space for us. So, I thought I'd post some progress shots along the way. Bear with me frequency/timing wise as I'm building it on the odd day I have free so will likely be done over a few weekends.

Happy to answer questions along the way and would love to hear what you think 🙂

The "wasted space"

20201010_120912.jpg   20201010_121041.jpg

Double rebate join on all posts.

Gives a professional finish up top and allows the fixings to be more easily hidden.

20201010_163736.jpg

Setting the posts.

The two posts on the rear boundary were Dynabolted to limestone retaining wall and concreted in, while the other two posts were concreted 600mm into the ground.

20201011_112838.jpg   20201011_115203.jpg

Concrete footing for breeze block feature wall.

This was just marking it out (forgot to get an equally boring photo of the concrete in the hole/trench).

20201011_142030.jpg

Testing the pointed overhang.

At the same time as confirming all levels are bang on, I was checking how much we want the pointed ends to overhang.

20201011_163304.jpg

Breeze block feature wall is next...

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Poolside timber cabana build

Looking forward to the next update and seeing it all come together @ProjectPete.

Many thanks for sharing. I'm sure your work will continue to inspire other members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

The cabana is now complete (apologies for the delays in coming back to update this post!).

Breeze block wall

I clamped the roof from to the post to give the finishing height of the breeze blocks so I could work back from that to set the footing to ensure we used full blocks right through. There's a 10mm rod through each row of mortar which is set into the timber post for plenty of strength. These particular breeze blocks are made with 20mm channels on 2 perpendicular sides to make the rod easy to embed.

20201018_124501.jpg 

Timber frame and roofing

With the breeze blocks in I finished the rest of the timber frame all fixed with bugle batten screws. I notched out parts of the frame to flush fit the cross members which are there both for supporting the bamboo roof as well as adding feature. This was made easier with a multitool to make the initial cut (after a few taps with the chisel to give the multitool a line/crevice to start in and follow), then fine finished with the chisel.

Believe it or not, painting the bamboo roofing was the most tedious and time consuming part of this whole build. Painted white with a clear coat for some added protection.

20201012_123346.jpg 20201012_123440.jpg 20201012_123714.jpg

Curved concrete bench seat and crazy pavers

I dug the footing, installed a bit of reo, and poured the concrete ready to start building the bench seat.

20201112_100427.jpg 20201112_125130.jpg

I was going to build the concrete bench seat myself as I have the skills to do so, but after seeing a design by a local professional I decided to enlist his help (and when you see the finished product, you'll understand why). And given he did such an awesome job on the benchseat I got him to quote the crazy pavers too. Again, I could've done the crazy pavers myself but his price was so good that weighing it up against the time/effort it would take me to do it, it just wasn't worth it.

20201116_145851.jpg 20201116_145907.jpg

The finished product

With all that work done, it came down to the finishing touches such as sealing the bench seat and crazy pavers, cutting the fake grass to fit around the natural edges of the pavers (which I did ask to bring out further but something was lost in translation), and popping some greenery in there.

That bench seat! Curves in all the right places, tapered back rest, polished concrete effect finish.

Super stoked with how it all turned out and got in done just in time for our annual preXmasXmas party and all the festivities that've followed throughout this beautiful Perth summer.

IMG-20210119-WA0016.jpg IMG-20210119-WA0018.jpg IMG-20210119-WA0022.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

Love it @ProjectPete, congratulations and many thanks for the update. Inspiring stuff.

Jason

Thanks @Jason - was a fun project and has certainly enhanced our entertaining space without encroaching on kids play areas.

Looking forward to the next projects on the list 😁

----------
Handy and helpful
diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Simply 10/10.

You really did an amazing job with this. What an incredible way of utilising that space. 

Very much inspired!

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Thanks @diy_hausdesigns !

Not that we're planning to sell anytime soon but I feel like these sorts of spaces/features are the ones that will WOW buyers and stick in their minds. So we'll enjoy it while we're here and know someone else will get to in future.

----------
Handy and helpful

This is amazing, fabulous style and exactly the sort of thing that I am looking for to add to my backyard overhaul! I am in WA and would love some suggestions of good priced tradies such as your concrete guy. Could I please pm you for more details?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @juliab_s

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing your desire to build your own poolside timber cabana build.

It's fantastic that this cabana build has inspired you to make your own. Let me tag @ProjectPete so that he is made aware of your request. I totally agree that the cabana build is amazing. It's a great spot to rest and relax after a dip in the pool. It sounds like you are planning your own cabana build. Should you have any questions our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information. 

Please keep us updated, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Eric

Wow! Looks great. What’s on the roof of the cabana? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects