Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Retaining wall with Whites Retain It system

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Retaining wall with Whites Retain It system

Hello, sorry if I am posting duplicated subjects. Had a look but didn't find answers directly relevant to my project, so I hope you don't mind posting this here.

I would like to build a retaining wall using the Whites "Retain It" system. The wall would be about 8.5m in length. I plan on using Ironwood 200 x 75mm 2.4m Sienna treated pine sleepers. I am planning of a height three sleepers (about 600mm). I would also like to install a capping on top of the wall. It will be more of a garden wall than a retaining wall. I am planning to use whites 1500mmx75mm posts.

I'm aiming for a straight line version of:

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.55.55.png 

My questions to begin with:

• What should the distance between the Retain iT posts be for 75mm sleepers? Can the full length of 2.4m be used? 
  • If the sleepers need to be cut to length, do they need to be treated in some way to maintain protection agains decay and so on?
  • What is generally used for the top capping? Would it be another sleeper? How should the capping be fixed to the wall sleepers?
  • How much quick set concrete should I plan for each of the joiner posts?  

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Retaining wall with Whites Retain It system

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @steveof2620. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your questions.

For a retaining wall that needs engineering, there might be a stipulation on maximum post spacing. If the height of 600mm means you are not required to have the wall engineered in your state, then a span of 2400mm between posts is suitable.

If you need to cut sleepers to length, you can reseal their ends with TWA Woodcare 300g Ecoseal Tanalised Timber Treatment

The top capping can be constructed from a sleeper, and Buildex 16-8 x 125mm Climacoat Type 17 Timber Construction Screws would be sufficient to hold them in place. You would screw directly through the capping and into the edge of the sleeper below. Try to offset your screws instead of running them all in a straight line, as per the image below. This will give the capping more rigidity. You might find that using a full-width sleeper makes the capping slightly disproportionate to the rest of the wall. You could either rip it down the length to make it slightly thinner or choose to use a 50mm thick version instead.

Whites recommends that you have around as much post in the ground as out of the ground, so in your case, the Whites Outdoor 1100 x 75mm Retain-iT Joiner Post should be adequate. You'll need a hole at least 300 x 300mm wide and the depth of your post. 40kg of concrete fills a 300 x 300 x 300mm cube. If you were to use the 1100mm joiner, that would require around four Bastion 20kg Rapid Set Concrete bags per post.

I look forward to following along with your project. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

Sleepercapping.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Awesome, thanks very much for your replay. That information is most useful. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Cheers.

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Hi,

Thanks again for the information you provided.

Couple of queries:

0fb4ddb0-8651-4c51-bdf9-2f701ebc1dcc.jpeg

5540100e-aeeb-4d07-8b73-a555a12f5428.jpeg

Does that sound OK or do you have other suggestions?

Also do I need some sort of drainage gravel to place under the bottom sleepers?

Thanks again. 

Hi @steveof2620,

Fantastic to see that you’ve already received helpful advice from @MitchellMc. He’ll be more than happy to help further when he’s back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

Hi @steveof2620,

Australian Builders 20kg Quick Set Concrete is most certainly a suitable alternative. The post hole digger will make easy work of digging soil. If the ground is rocky, you might like to have a mattock on hand as well.

No drainage gravel is needed under the sleepers, but you might like to read through @Adam_W's step-by-step article on How to build a retaining wall. In step eight he shows how to lay an agricultural line behind the wall to remove excess water and divert it away from the wall.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Thanks again for your advice. Very helpful.

Sounds like you're on the right track now @steveof2620 one comment however...
If the wall is retaining any material at that height it may need engineering approval. Different councils have differing rules I believe but generally anything over 400mm likley needs some sort of design input as a minimum as you need to get deep and width of footing right to avoid failure.

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Hello,

I received my delivery of Ironwood 200 x 75mm 2.4m Sienna Treated Pine Sleepers, but they do not appear stained as illustrated. If anything, they are beige with a green hue. I am wondering if these can be stained and if so what stain would be recommended. I'd be looking for something that would stain the sleepers into a colour like that depicted on the website (see below).

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 08.26.26.png

Hi @steveof2620,

Typically, because of the treatment of Sienna sleepers, they have a red-coloured hue. I'll reach out via private message to get your location details so I can investigate further.

The sleepers can be stained, but I'd like to double-check your order to make sure that you've received the correct product.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects